Scratched windscreen: MOT fail?

A faulty windscreen wiper means that the glass on my windscreen is scratched, in an arc on the passenger side.

  • Is there any way to remove the scratch, short of replacing the windscreen?
  • Is this an MOT fail?

It's only an old banger, so I don't want to get insurance or the windscreen replacement companies involved if I can help it...

Thanks Mike

Reply to
bruce_phipps

How can you let it get that bad in the first place? Metal contacting glass = scratches! Are you one of the people who drives around with only one brake light by any chance?

Reply to
John

We have a car in the stable which has had the spoiler of the windscreen wiper scraping the windscreen at either end of its travel for 5 or 6 years. It hasn't failed an MOT on this in that time.

If your car is insured, most companies have a windscreen replacement excess of £50 or £60 and it won't affect your claims history. Worth asking about as the companies will almost certainly charge you more.

If it's not badly obscuring your view of the road and doesn't bother you, don't worry about it.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

As ever, the answer can be found in the online testers manual:

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Depends. The MOT is mainly concerned with scratches or damage that interferes with the forward vision of the driver.So if the scratches are confined to the passengers side, the chances are that unless they are very bad, It'll pass. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

A wiper flew off my Xantia about a month ago a few days before it's MOT. My wife was driving at the time and just carried on in the rain with one wiper, with the passenger side arm scraping the glass. It made a not-too-deep scratch like you describe, but wasn't even mentioned on the MOT advisory sheet when it passed, so I think you'll be ok.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Is your real name Rob?