screewash

Anyone suggest where to get decent screewash?. I see the supermarkets have their usual stuff - where they dilute it for you and charge the earth.

This seems good - but a bit expensive perhaps

Just seen that' it's perfumed - no thanks

Reply to
jake

One of the few occasions when Halfords is OK. They have concentrate as well as the pre-diluted stuff.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Last winter I found some in a local accessories shop - about 250mL reconded to protect down to -40 degrees so I diluted it about 1:5 in tapwater. Perhaps £2 - can't remember ...

I'm told the expense is because it's alcohol and is subject to the same tax a drinks, otherwise it would be about 2p.

I find that stuff supposed to protect to -10 actually freezes in the nozzles when the air temperature is only about -1 ; so I wonder why manufacturer's don't make heated nozzles with a thermostatic control.

Reply to
Graham J

That's the one think I liked about paying the earth for a BMW dealer service. The smell of their screenwash. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Notice they no longer do the anti-freeze concentrate needed for my old car. Just pre-mixed.

In some areas pre-mixed screenwash can make sense. Hard water can clog some jets.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
[...]

My last Focus had heated nozzles, but not thermostatic control. I think it came on with the heated front screen.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Yes, a few years ago I had some from a Nissan dealer that smelt fine. Last year was some evil perfumed stuff .

I usually dilute the conc stuff - on pure guesswork! :-)

OT My E30 BMW had heaters in the ext. door handles - wish I'd kept that car.

Reply to
jake

My Omega had heated nozzles with a temperature dependent resistor in that increased it's resistance as the nozzle warmed up. It was very effective.

Reply to
rp

Halfords concentrated for ?4.95 - 5 litres used to be okay. Now it's crap. Seems that they are all crap these days.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Anything good -10 to -15 never really works when spread thinly on the screen.

I found some in Boyes that was rated down to -25 undiluted. The brand name escapes me now but never let me down.

There is this stuff:

Steve

I remember trying that about three years ago. It was crap and my wiper blades were new. My screen was clean. I'm a bit fussy about clean a windscreen.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I've just come back from Shropshire with 10 litres of concentrated screen wash from the local Tuffins aka Co-op supermarket. £3 for 5 litres and £5 for 10 litres Summer dilute 4:1 'Normal Winter' 2:1 Use neat for severe winter conditions

Reply to
alan_m

Then by rights it should be drinkable.

Cheers!

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

My E39 BMW too. But no heated screen.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yup - my E34 had that too. Side benefit was lifting the handle set off the alarm. For those scrotes who check for an unlocked car.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I doubt it. You don't pay excise duty on things like meths. No point in drinking it if it cost the same as cheap vodka. Unless it tasted better.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Anyone suggest where to get decent screewash?. I see the supermarkets have their usual stuff - where they dilute it for you and charge the earth.

This seems good - but a bit expensive perhaps

Just seen that' it's perfumed - no thanks

I bought some from a Pound Shop, seemed like a bargain. I think it cost a Pound.

It's shit.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

I just tried this:

Sonax 03711410 Screen Wash Concentrate 1:100

and I am mightily impressed.

As it's winter, I have mixed it with plain cheap Comma screenwash for the antifreeze properties. In theory, in summer, just Sonax and fill up with water, but that remains to be tested.

First use once I'd cleared it through the pipes, it took off some persistent smearing that had not been touched by the ordinary screenwash. And it clears everytime quickly and with no smearing - despite not having changed the wiper blades recently.

So that stuff gets full marks from me.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Nonsense - you were told wrong. Industrial alcohol is not subject to duty.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Curiously, this was from a shop that made and sold alcohol-based air fresheners and other household perfumed thingies - perhaps the chap there had been misled also ...

Reply to
Graham J