Seat cover for dog,

I look after a lively Border collie on occasions and get fed up taking him on the same local walks. He loves going in the car and there are lots of good alternative places to walk him not that far away. So I'd like an easily fitted and removed rear seat cover that would keep the seat from being scratched by his claws (as well as keeping it clean). I bought some from Halfords for 15 quid said to be for the job but they were far too small to cover the seat securely so got pulled off as the dog moved about. I got a refund and they said to try the van front seat cover at 50 quid. Seems a lot for something so basic.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) pretended :

For your car... Try Lidl and/or Aldi -one of them has an offer on for cheap seat covers at the moment.

For the dog... Get a laser pointer to tire it out - it will chase the dot where ever you point it. Also buy it a kids battery powered bubble machine, they love chasing the bubbles. We also bought our collie a tiny LED headlight. She demands that be put on her head as soon as it gets dark and she chases the spot of light around the garden. When she tires of that, she takes it off her head and takes it in her mouth to shine around.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

They (Lidl) had a couple of weeks ago - but not any there this week. Had some decent value tool stuff on Thursday - set of drills in a steel box, and the same fine torx and allen ratchet set which I'd bought about a couple of years ago and found excellent.

He's not a youngster and I enjoy the walks. Wimbledon Common and Richmond Park are reasonably close by car and make a change (for me at least) from the local common. But he does like to look out of the windows when travelling so need a cover that can be well secured. Or a tranquilliser dart.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Someone gave us a rear seat cover, it seems very strong, we have two retrievers, so it gets hard use, but not every day.

It is branded 'country club'

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Hatchback car? Get a universal dog guard. Argos sell them, =A319.99.

--=20 Conor

I'm not prejudiced. I hate everyone equally.

Reply to
Conor

It is perhaps just our local store which still has lots of the seat covers still in stock then. Most of the stores do seem to sell out quickly on the specials, but not our local one.

I agree. I bought a set of those drills last time and bought another last Thursday, I also bought one of those ratchet sets too - which I missed last time around. As you said, excellent quality tools to add to the collection.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Put a plastic sheet over the seat, then stick an old blanket over the top. Nothing could be easier or more effective. Don't forget a dog seatbelt or he will be out of the front window like a missile in an accident. You could always get a hatchback or estate car with a dog guard and stick him in the boot. My dog used to like to sit in the front passenger seat and had his nose constantly on the air vents or he would spit and slobber down the open window. He didn't like other dogs much so I had to take him out when everyone else was at home.

Reply to
vince

Seems a lot for something so basic.

You're not the dog's owner, so won't get the Vet's bills...!

(But worth every penny, of course!)

Reply to
DB.

Whats the dog done to u.

Surely its a seat cover for the seat and not for the dog.

I doubt if you can get a seat cover to fit your dog LOL.

Reply to
bbb

I would say a cheap cover from Lidl/Aldi, although the problem is that although they are very good, they are also slippery - as there is nothing for their claws to grip on. they may slide and end up head-butting the door on roundabouts

I've now got a simple blanket on the back seat instead. Keeps the claws and fur off.

Reply to
Woof

I'm thinking this might be the way to go - but with some method of securing it properly. It's roughly what I use at the moment, but even with it well tucked in under the squab he still manages to pull it out by moving around.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've got one of those too. It really does seem very good.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Velcro. Put the hook bit on the blanket, they might stick directly to the seat. If not, attach a couple of pieces of the loop material to the seat out of sight. If the seat squab lifts up, attach it the the underside, otherwsie glue a couple of pieces inbetween the cushion and back where nobody will ever see.

Reply to
Woof