Seat Inca 1.9 SDI Haynes Manual

Do Haynes do specific manual for vans? Looking on their website I can't find anything listed under Seat, and the VW section doesn't seem to have the Caddy either.

Do they do one, or will I just have to get one for the equivalent car, and get an official workshop manual for the rest (i.e. rear suspension type bits).

Which brings me on to my next question - is the Seat Inca based on the Seat Leon? Does that mean my van also shares a platform with the Audi A3?

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

After looking at one of these, Astra Van now discounted, pre emptive call round breakers for hypothetical 1.7TD engine, the words `rocking horse shit` were used, quote of the week £850 incl VAT for s/h VX Astra 1.7TD motor on a pallet.

Did wonder about the power output of the 1.9SDi engine, 64 bhp out the same unit that produces 101hp with a turbo bolted onto it.

VW Caddy is strictly the Golf based pickup, the original van was a Golf Caddy with GRP Truckman style top. The Seat Inca / VW Caddy van is in fact based on the Seat Cordoba, not Golf, Polo or anything else common in breakers....

Search Google Groups there is a 1 page VW Caddy FAQ out there.

Adam

currently back to considering 1.8D Escort

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

You on a different thread or something? :-)

Ah, we're getting there. Well the lowest powered 1.9TDI had 90bhp, and AFAIK that's the only one they used in the Caddy vans (and derivatives like the Inca, though I think they only put the SDI in the Inca as it was the cheaper option). But uprated versions of the 1.9TDI had 110bhp and 130bhp (PD), and also the 150bhp PD engine used in the Golf GTI diesel. I think there was a 115bhp 1.9TDI, which I think was a detuned version of the 130bhp engine, but a different animal to the 110bhp version. Could someone who actually knows butt in here and tell me if I'm on the right lines.

I have sometimes wondered why the 150bhp 1.9TDI PD never made it into the Audi range (correct me if I'm wrong here), but I suppose they had the V6

2.5TDI. Mind you, VW used that in the Passat. Maybe Audi used the 150bhp PD TDI engine in the A3, and if not why not?

Ah, the big box type things as commonly fitted to Ford P100 pickups.

Oh. I could have sworn the front end looks exactly the same as a Golf (the Caddy that is).

What's the VW "equivalent" of the Cordoba? And did they ever do a SDI Cordoba (I doubt it!)

Don't go there. Is it a van you've got? What sort of budget are you on? The Escort vans only have around 55bhp, and really aren't very economical. Stick with the Astra TDs (if you're on about the Mk3 ones). If you're on a budget of a couple of grand, stretch it to around 3 if you can and get an Astra 1.7DTI, or maybe the 2.0DTI if you do 90%+ of your miles on the motorway.

If you are after a decent old-ish van, how about a Maestro van? Not the prettiest of things, but brilliant engines easily capable of 55-60mpg. I've got one in very good condition that I'm selling actually. As soon as I can be bothered I'll put it on eBay, but it's got around 10 months' MOT and 4 months' tax, 80k miles, one very careful last owner (bus mechanic who'd owned it since 3 years old), and in very good condition regarding rust (sills very solid indeed and recently undersealed, a few bits of bubbling rust here and there, but overall very good indeed).

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan