Security Wheel Nut Problem

I have one of those security devices that fit over a wheel nut on a 2003 Corolla. Designed to prevent someone stealing a wheel.

Please see tinypic webpage link of photograph. The photo shows one of three lugs that fit into the corresponding three holes on the nut on the wheel

After someone did some work on the Brakes, i checked the tightness of all the wheel nuts so they were not *too tight* if i got caught out somewhere away from home.

In trying to loosen one of the nuts with the security device above some of the three holes in the nut on the wheel have become distorted meaning they are no longer gripped by the three lugs on the security device.

Since the security nut holding the wheel on to the car is now ruined, how please might i now get the wretched thing off? Thanks.

Reply to
john west

I had those on a car that I bought, but no key, I found some steel rod that would fit in the holes, put a short piece in each hole of the nut and welded the bits together, then welded an odd socket onto that lump and undid them all and threw them in the scrap.

Unless you are very practical it would be easiest to run the car into a tyre shop and get them to remove the nuts using reverse thread sockets made for the purpose, you can buy them yourself of course, but you would probably only use them the one time.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Option 1. Take it back to the muppets that broke it. Option 2. Take it to a back-street tyre place, and wave a drinking voucher at them.

...then replace the locking wheel bolts with normal ones. Let's face it, nobody's going to nick the wheels off a 12yo Corolla.

Reply to
Adrian

Chisel or mole wrench. A photo of a nut might be helpful.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

The OP provided that already.

Reply to
Davey

Umm, no, they didn't.

The showed a photo of the key. That told us nothing about whether the bolts had a rotating security cuff around them, or how much access the wheel design allowed to the bolt.

Reply to
Adrian

Ok.

Reply to