Service book stamps

Hi,

I just bought a Peugeot 307 1.6 HDi 90 and there's something odd about the stamps in the service book;

i) The first stamp is just a sticker which says, "The previous operator of this car was contractually obliged to maintain the vehicle observing Peugeot service requirements and so the validity of the warranty is not affected by the absence of a dealer stamp in respect of the first service."

ii) The second service should have been due at 12,000 miles and it's been stamped by a Peugeot dealer at 12,943.

My questions are: Does the sticker invalidate the warranty and does the extra 943 miles also invalidate the warranty?

What's also weird is that the car came with brand, spanking new keys and also had four brand new tyres on it.....can someone suggest an explanation?

Thanks,

JW

Reply to
JW

It's a kneecap finance re-possession.

Reply to
SteveH

You'd need to ask Peugeot in writing.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

:

I kinda knew thought it might be a repossession (you've confirmed that, thank you. No real problems with that.) but it was Peugeot who stamped the book the second time so does that keep the warranty? What on earth does the sticker mean? I've certainly never seen that!

Thanks guys.

JW

Reply to
JW

Without knowing who stuck it there you can't tell. If Peugeot stuck it there then yes.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Who was the previous registered keeper of the car? How old is it?

The big daily rental and lease companies used to keep cars for 9 months or

12,000 miles, not sure if this still the case? Certainly I am aware that there are cases of some altering the mileage to ensure they didn't appear to exceed the mileage limit imposed by the manufacturer before the cars were returned for retail sale.

The 1.6 HDi should be serviced every 2 years or 12,000 miles, so even if the first service didn't happen, the second was okay as far as mileage is concerned. Was the 12,943 service carried out by the dealer you bought it off?

As for new keys and tyres - could have been repossessed or had a very hard life up until now. I think the clue will be in the first owner, unless they've used Peogeot Motor Co or Robins & Day (Peugeot themselves) to hide who operated it.

Reply to
Doctor D

Thanks Dr D (and everyone else who's helped),

In answer to your questions;

The previous keeper of the car was "Accident Exchange Ltd"....which might give a clue to it's background! Anyone know anything about these people? It was first registered in July 2007 in Belfast and its

12,000 mile service was done by a Peugeot dealer in Birmingham.

After doing a bit of digging I may have answered my own question. The four new tyres is a bit strange though.

However, I think it's a good car and the only query I have now is the strange sticker in the book. If it's not particularly relevant then I'm not too worried.

Reply to
JW

JW gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Rental for an "accident management" company, then.

Probably have their own in-house maintenance teams.

Reply to
Adrian

Thanks Dr D (and everyone else who's helped),

In answer to your questions;

The previous keeper of the car was "Accident Exchange Ltd"....which might give a clue to it's background! Anyone know anything about these people? It was first registered in July 2007 in Belfast and its

12,000 mile service was done by a Peugeot dealer in Birmingham.

After doing a bit of digging I may have answered my own question. The four new tyres is a bit strange though.

However, I think it's a good car and the only query I have now is the strange sticker in the book. If it's not particularly relevant then I'm not too worried.

Okay, it's been an accident loan car - a short term rental vehicle.

I wouldn't be worried about the sticker. It's had a service at 12,943 miles and seen the inside of a main dealer within 2 years and near enough to

12,000 miles. If the sticker wasn't there, only the service stamp would you be at all concerned?

I suspect the Peugeot dealer in Birmingham (Robins & Day?) have done the remedial preparation for retail sale. If it was first registered in Belfast, it's presumably now wearing a registration starting B* (Birmingham) or K* (most Fleet Peugeots seem to be registered in Hertfordshire/Bedfordshire)?

How are you sure it's had new tyres? Are they good quality, or cheap budget ones? You could look at new tyres as a benefit :-) A complete set of tyres in 12,000 miles isn't normal, but I doubt it's been driven like the proverbial pensioner on a Sunday afternoon jaunt!

It's under warranty until July 2010.

Reply to
Doctor D

Probably replacing the tyres "stung" by a police stinger, maybe.

Reply to
Sven

Thanks for the help people - that's great.

I know it has new tyres because they don't look like they've had

12,000+ wear on them and they're also three different makes! Admittedly they're quality brands (Continental, Dunlop, and some other) but it's just a bit odd. Agree with Dr D here; Probably not driven like a Sunday pensioner in its past!

So, overall I'm quite happy with the car but here's a techie question:

The glowplug light has never actually illuminated since I bought the car. Is this quite normal for this age of 307 or has something been disconnected? It starts every time without any gripes or strange noises. Since it's under warranty I may just visit a dealer and get it checked out but it's just a rather strange fault to happen. What does anyone else think?

Once again, you guys have been absolutely brilliant with your answers :)

JW

Reply to
JW

Probably a snatched back lease car that was serviced by the lease companies cheaper service agent rather than a main dealer.

I think under eu law, a car has to be serviced according to manufacturer spec, but not necessarily by a manufacturer franchise, to maintain the warrenty. And that sticker looks to say that the finance company approved servicer can't be arsed to stamp the book, because it means nowt.

Reply to
Elder

The glowplug light has never actually illuminated since I bought the car. Is this quite normal for this age of 307 or has something been disconnected? It starts every time without any gripes or strange noises. Since it's under warranty I may just visit a dealer and get it checked out but it's just a rather strange fault to happen. What does anyone else think?

As long as its quick to start - don't worry. Modern diesels don't need 'heating up' as much as the (Example) old XUD engines. Our 3 year old transit at work started quicker the other morning than my brand new petrol Toyota. (And was it cold!!). I've had 2 ex lease cars and never had a problem with either. I bought a brand new Grande Punto and had nothing but trouble.

Reply to
MikeS

I've used them, and had a very nice, clean, good condition car from them when someone rear-ended my A3. It was pretty much immaculate.

If you have a non-fault accident they give you a nice, nearly-new car equivalent to your own, and bill the other drivers insurance co.

Reply to
Chris Bartram