shocker update

Just taken a look in the boot.

I came accross the thick rubber washer, i looked down the hole and the metal rod looks the same as the other, apart from having no nut on, although i couldnt get a great look i could make out the top of it, which matches the one still in place at the other side. I did come accross a metal washer that has some missing so i guess it or the other washer gave way unless the nut came loose, i havent found the nut yet.

I cant find my manual, but how would i get it back to normal? never had to change a shocker before so im not sure if you fix it to the car at the top, then connect at the bottom(which is still ok). Im i rightin thinking you have to remove it totally?

thanks.

Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

Nope, assuming (which sounds like a big assumption )the chassis plates intact you just reattach it at the top. You'll need to compare it with the otherside to make sure all the bushes are there.

Reply to
Duncanwood

thanks, i found one thick bush, which matches the other abiet its not undercompression so a little bigger, one washer which shatterd but not the other, looking down the hole its seems just a case of jacking one side up and pulled up the metal rod.

ta!

Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

good news, i pulled up the piston so it was clear in the car and the threads look ok, so i bought some locking nuts and nice thick washers and new bushes but the piston keeps spinning, is there a way to hold it in place?

Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

Molegrips and use a ring spanner on the nut.

Reply to
Conor

I couldnt get the moles on, not from the top anyway.

I think it maybe a case of talking off the wheel to get better access and another pair of hands

Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

Don't use molegrips on any part of the shock that slides inside the outer casing unless you really want to buy some new ones.

Put the nut on loosely and drive to your nearest garage with an airgun.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Isn't there a squared off bit at the top you can get a small spanner on?

Reply to
Stuffed

Nope, i cant quite get the locking nut down far enough, another couple of mill would have been great so i could put something on the squared off bit, i dont want to round it off so left it for the day.

Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

Buy the mechaanic in your local tyre fitters or real mechanic a pint & get them to do it up with the airgun.

Reply to
Duncanwood

put a alan key in the top ??

Reply to
aussie bongo

There is a slight, only slight raise on the locking not so cant quite get owt on. but i think a a blast with a airgun will be the best shot.

Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

It looks like thats the only shot i can take, just worried that the roads inbetween have the speed bumps whereit came off.

BTW the threads look nice, i only found a part shatterd washer so once all back together should it be ok?

Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

You could try a normal nut & lock a jam nut against it. Just check the piston moves without jamming or you may have an unpleaant trip.