Sierra tyre wear/handling

Getting uneven front tyre wear (offside inner of tyre) and handling not as good as 3000 miles ago. Nothing serious and not pulling but have to concentrate more to keep it in centre of motorway lane. Will wander in lane if relax for a moment.

Any thoughts on what needs replacing? Think I heard wishbone bushes are a regular problem??

Rockingrabbit

Reply to
Rockingrabbit

Sierra does not have wishbones. They have track control arms. These arms do get ball joint wear, the inner bush sometimes goes and the bushes where the anti roll bar join it also wear quite quickly. It is very cheap to replace the whole lot and then get the tracking re-checked/adjusted. You may be offered a 'heavy duty' aftermarket anti-roll bar bush kit, I have found these to be rubbish and fail faster than original.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Removing the slop from the standard ARB bushes does make a hell of a difference to the handling and turn in though. When I drove a Sierra 15 years ago I made a mod to the bush system which I can't really remember the details of but I think it was either uprated bushes and reversing the clamp washers or maybe I made special washers up. Anyway after all that instead of needing 10 degrees of steering wheel movement before the car even started to change direction it would turn into corners like a go kart and respond to every tiny steering input. Much more fun down country roads.

Reply to
Dave Baker

The original washers turned round so the cup is toward the arm was one trick. Often after people fit the 'heavy duty' bushes they chuck the original washers, fitting the original bushes next time without those washers makes the handling surprising to say the least.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Cheers for advise on this. I'll replace the antiroll bar bushes first and see how it feels.

Reply to
Rockingrabbit