Siezing Screenwasher pump

On my wife's car the rear screenwasher seems to keep seizing. I can get it working by repeatedly using the switch. It is definitely drawing current as I can see the lights dim a little if I try with out the engine running.

question: Are some screenwasher additives better than others in helping to avoid the pump seizing?

Reply to
John

Are you sure it's not run from the same pump as the fronts? IME the pumps rarely seize but the intakes can be blocked by algae and crap due to owners using no screenwash at all...

Reply to
Doki

replace the pump

dont use washing up liquid in the waher bottle

dont make the fluid to concentrate

Reply to
steve robinson

Fairly sure it is a different pump as the front ones always work well.

Reply to
John

Reply to
Andy Cap

What car is it? Pretty much anything made in the last 10 years or so has one pump and an arrangment of one-way valves. The pump runs one way fro the front, and another for the back.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

It isn't the pump, it is the small filter by the bottom of the washer bottle and outlet pipe that is clogged up. Most supermarket brands of screen wash tend to foam and clog up the filter. Try and take it out or just do what I did - pour really hot water in to the washer bottle and leave it for a while, this tends to dislodge a lot of gunge. Repeat a few times and make sure you run the pump. You will find it works after that. If your lights dim when you operate the pump then you have a crap battery!

Reply to
John

I had a similar problem a while back. Drove me mad why the washer kept stopping. After many months traced it to the air hole in the tank cap being blocked! Well worth a look.

Reply to
Llareggub

It is definitely stalling - no motor noise - yet the lights flicker a little to indicate current is being drawn. Flicking the switch many times seems to free it and then it is fine for a few days. Car is a ....Kalos

Reply to
John

Usually it's the jets blocked which causes the pump to draw a lot of current, not the pump itself.

Jets are a couple of quid each.

Reply to
Conor

That wouldn't totally prevent the pump from starting - anyway, it sprays perfectly when it does get going.

Reply to
John

Corrosion on the pump terminals (if any)?

Reply to
Hooch