Silly tool for dampers, nut removal

I'm baffled as to why some dampers which are fitted with top and/or bottom nuts have such a silly shaped head on them. The head is flattened on two sides and curved on the other two. When an old strut is really rusted up and you want to remove the nut from the damper, how the blazes are you supposed to grip onto the head of the damper?

Why isn't the head properly square or a hexagon so that you can use a proper 6-pt socket on it?

The only tool which I'm fairly certain is correct is one of the three pieces in this set:

I'm not paying £7.50 handling to order just this from that website, but I can't see any way of identifying this type of tool so that I can find it elsewhere. Isn't there a proper name for that shape? Why does this appear to be the only stockist I can find? Anybody know anything about this tool?

Michael

Reply to
Michael Kilpatrick

There are plenty of 'Pro' toolkits about for suspension jobs - for instance

But as you can see, they are 'Pro' prices too...

If the damper has had it anyway, you could possibly just grind the nut off? Or grind the flats flat again?

Or a nut splitter would do it.

I would guess the round/flat profile is to give a few days extra margin if the nut works loose - it can be solidly threaded right to the top then, instead of stopping an inch from the end.

Ironically, there's item 4624503344 on

(US version) which is oval sockets with a handle etc. for about $10 (£6ish) inc p+p. They say they do international shipping too!

Reply to
PC Paul

I always use an air impact wrench, no need to hold the middle then.

A tool as shown is easy enough to make for yourself, drill a deep enough hole in the end of a bar, widen the opening so it will just start over the end of the funny shape, heat the end of the bar to red hot and hammer it on, the inside will displace to form the shape, having made the hole either bend the bar to form a handle or grip it with stilsons This method was shown to me by a country blacksmith about 40 years ago, it still works just fine.

some people use molegrips or just cut the nut off.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Probably, but whatever it is, it's not commonly used in engineering. On a diameter, 2 machined flats for a suitable spanner, would be a clear enough description.

Why does this

Unless you're intending to replace the dampers, you can usually get some Mole grips or Stillsons on the shaft from under the wing. Otherwise I've found a good fitting AF spanner is usually enough to prevent the shaft from turning whilst the nut is undone. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Snap-on are £10.69 inc VAT

A C

Thanks. However, there seem to be three different sizes there: 1/4",

15/64" and 6mm. Not exactly a lot of difference, so I'll have to measure carefully. I'm a bit curious, however, as the old Nivomats have a significantly larger oval than things like the modern adjustables (which I assume are the same as most other modern dampers in that regard) on my other car. I'm wondering if neither of those three tools are big enough for the Nivomats...

Michael

Reply to
Michael Kilpatrick