Simple brake shoe wear question

It's been a while since I've posted a question as I'm now down to only one Punto :D

A month back I had the rear brake drum off and noticed that the rear of the two shoes on each side was worn nearly to the metal only at the top

10-20% or so. The rest of the shoe and the front shoe seemed fine. The ware wasn't exactly even over the width of the shoe either.

The brakes are starting to squeal a little now from the rear (20k on them). Is it normal for such a small isolated area to wear and the rest of the shoe to look untouched? It was the same on the my other Punto before I part-exd it. I appreciate this is where the piston/cylinder pushes, but it almost seems a waste of friction material.

Regards,

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Rear drums usually have one leading and one trailing shoe to give equal braking in reverse - most front drums are twin leading. And the leading shoe always wears first due to the self servo action - and usually more on the leading edge.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

..but also if they're not adjusted properly you get loads of wear at one end and not much at the other.

The noise now could be the metal on metal as the pad has worn away....

Reply to
adder1969

I guessed this was the case, but I was quite surprised to see 90% of the friction material looking near untouched. When I service the car I tend to check the self adjusters to make sure they're working. So I'm probably ensuring they are always in reasonable contact and increasing the wear.

20k seems pretty low to me, I thought shoes would last at least 40k.

Thanks for the tip,

Tim

Reply to
Tim