siphoning diesel

Hello,

I have a Citroen c3 with a full tank of fuel and I am hoping to part exchange the car but don't want to give the garage the diesel! I bet the new car will have only 5 litres in when they give it to me.

Is there a way to remove the diesel? I have tried inserting a hose down the filler. It goes three or four foot in but I don't know if it hits an obstruction, I can't seem to get it to go any further. Is there some sort of anti-siphon device in the filler tube?

Is there another clever way to remove the diesel?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Dunno specifically, but when we sold on my wifes Renault Laguna we took a fuel pipe off near the fuel filter and used the primer (hand) pump to pump diesel out. Took a while and needed an extra tube/connector molishing but it worked .. we got about 40 litres out!

Further to that, we were (afterwards) told that we could have turned on the ignition and used the fuel pump itself to do the same .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

on 15/08/2011, Stephen supposed :

Divert the output of the fuel pump into a container. Most cars these days are fitted with some sort of baffle to prevent syphoning via the filler.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

AIUI some cars have a drain tap under the tank, to be used when the driver suffers from brain fade and fills up with petrol instead. My son-in-law (who is a car salesman and should know better) did this once. Car recovered on a trailer and the tank drained in the workshop using said tap.

Reply to
Ramsman
[...]

Any idea what make and model that was?

Only I could do with some free fuel ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. Or at least run you over.

Reply to
Ramsman
[...]

Heh!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

As most scrotes seem to know, it's an optional extra on any car, you fit by taking a good swing with a screwdriver.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Wouldn't it be easier to negotiate the price of the new car down by the cost of the diesel, or make it a condition of sale that they fill the tank in the new car?

Reply to
Andy Clews

Some manufacturers used to specify that the fuel tank be filled and checked for leaks at the pre-delivery inspection.

Somehow they all had a tick in the check box yet were still delivered to customers with just a gallon or so in the tank.

Reply to
The Other Mike

I recently bought a new Fiesta, and the fuel tank was full when I received it, much to my surprise.

Reply to
BluntChisel

The idea of using the primer sounded good. All the tubing seems to be stuck tight on ribbed connectors and will not come off. I will try applying hot water to see if this allows me to remove the tube. I will have to look around the filter to see if that would be easier.

Not sure about using the ignition: if you divert the fuel into a jerry can, what keeps the engine turning?

No drain on my tank and I don't fancy drilling it. I'd hate the new owner to have to buy a new tank because this one had sprung a leak.

Thanks, Stephen

Reply to
Stephen

Agreed. If he empties the tank, someone else has to fill it. Same difference. So why not just negotiate the difference; it's hard money.

At least he can ask for the new car to be filled 'like for like'. Only a dodgy dealer could refuse.

Reply to
johannes