slamming doors

does the slamming of passenger doors really do significant damage to it compared to a)damage received by potholes b)damage from jacking car

Or is it just not polite to slam a door? I am curious about this.

thanks, Sam

Reply to
Sam

In news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, Sam decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Well, it's easier to dent a door by slamming it than by driving a car through a pothole or jacking it.

At one point I think Rover put hinges on that made it nigh on impossible to slam the doors on something or other.

They used to be such a polite company!

Reply to
Pete M

The message from "Pete M" contains these words:

You mean they rusted up and got stiff?

Reply to
Guy King

The worst slamming offenders are those without a car of their own. ;-)

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

I always cringe at the people that throw their doors open, usually old and non car owners. They used to advertise the fact that it was difficult to slam the doors on a volkswagen beetle because of the internal air pressure rise it caused, bet you can't do that on the ones that are left.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

You really are a clue less idiot troll.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

No. That was a fact, IIRC the owners manual suggested that you wind a window down a little so that the doors would shut easier. Also of course a standard VW beetle will float (when new at any rate)

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

2@
Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

Two words - door seals.....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Most car doors need to be slammed, otherwise the door seals will prevent the catch engaging properly. Try just pushing a door to close it. You'll find it quite difficult. Having said that, some people do slam them unnecessarily hard. With a strange car I tend to not slam them hard enough, as nothing annoys a car owner so much, including myself, as someone who slams their car door shut with a lot of force. TBH I don't think it causes any real damage. Maybe the door seals will deteriorate a little quicker, but they're fairly easy to replace. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Slamming of doors can cause major damage to the glass. I'd been baiting my mates GF. She got out in a huff, left window wound down about 3-4cm, slammed door, door stopped, glass didn't, it fell into the car in 1000's of tiny pieces.

Cost me a Satuday and £10 for a replacement from a scraper.

Peter Hill

You're right. I hadn't thaught of that. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

It cost YOU a Saturday and £10? Surely it should have cost her?

Reply to
SimonJ

He was probably just thankful that it was the window that took the force of her anger and not the tip of his nose !..

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

In my golf (an '83) if the window is closed you need a certain amount of force to shut the door properly, if a window is open the same amount of force results in a violent slam.

Reply to
Cardinal Fang

My neighbours need those Rover hinges! Often late at night the number of door slams is far greater than the number of doors on the car. They must stand opening and slamming them for a laugh.

Reply to
jt

Are they in training for the Upper Class Twit of the Year championships?

:-)

Steveski

Reply to
Steveski

oo... me mates car doesn't need doors slamming, they close themselves!

Cool or wot!?

Reply to
Mark

But the old Beetles didn't have any through flow ventilation. So the selling point was actually a negative feature.

Reply to
John