Slight misfire on Mitsubishi Colt

Hi

I have a T plate 1.3 Colt which has developed a slight misfire when idling, but much more serious when cold. There is also a slight shake when stopping at traffic lights etc. The problem has appeared suddenly rather than progressively.

Main dealer have looked at the car, found that plug 1 made *less* of a difference when removed. New lead & plug didn't fix it. Compression test = 150 / 160 / 160 / 175 - all within reasonable but they were surprised at the difference between 1 & 4. Fuel injector on 1 is pulsing ok.

All they could suggest was replacing the distributor cap (medium cost) or investigating the fuel line & replacing injector to no.1 (high cost), but could not guarantee that either of these would fix the fault. Cam belt fitted 10,000 miles ago.

Should I go for the distributor cap first as the cheapest option - I could fit this myself? Or let the fault develop a bit more since none of these are likely to cause complete breakdown (although its so shaky when starting I'm a little worried whether it will start when the weather gets colder).

Any suggestions what to do now? The fault is tolerable at the moment but is definitely noticeable. I also *think* it's using a little more fuel but I can't be sure.

Russell

Reply to
littlerussell

check for air leaks, spray around the manifold near the cylinder that doesn't run with carb cleaner, if this makes the engine run smoother, then try to isolate where the leak is, probably the gasket.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful