Slightly O/T - New Car

I have decided to replace the aged Xsara and Panda with something a little more 'to date'. Could I ask your opinions?. Family sized (2 Adults, 2 Kids), HAS to be automatic (Missus can't drive anything else), Don't do many miles per year so petrol/diesel not an issue, but has to be safe (She's an OK driver but I worry about her with the kids (No comments please!)), and it needs to be extremly reliable. Will need to last 6 years at least and budget around 5 - 7 thousand.

Would be really grateful for suggestions as I'm at a loss. Those interested - Here's my thoughts so far!

Ford Focus - I hate but she likes and are plentiful Volvo S40 - I like and safe - but old mannish (I'm 30) Peugot 307 - I heard can be unreliable - but I like the shape Toyota Avenis - Dont seem to break down / Tough car - But don't know anyone with them

Is there a site online that you fill your criteria in on and it suggests cars? Any suggestions really gratefully recieved. Many Thanks

Matt

Reply to
Matt

Okay, this filter is primarily for the American market, but it's still useful here.

And, don't you ever mention Peugeot 307 in polite circles!
For a young family in my extended family, I would advise an automatic

5-door petrol Toyota Yaris, second hand naturally (You have set yourself an impossible target: 5 to 7 thousand for a new automatic?!). No, I would insist on it.....
Reply to
Lin Chung

avensis would be perfect, petrol auto is owned by my neighbour, absolutely faultless car

Reply to
mrcheerful

Eeeeeek. Sorry.

Sorry, should have been clearer. By new, I mean a new (for me) 2nd hand car. A Yaris would be way too small for us (2 podgy adults, a 14yr old and a 7 yr old), and an occasional Jack Russell. I am thinking towards a Jap car, but they just seem too plain. I would like performance aswell, but at this budget I can't be too choosy. I did consider a older T5, but insurance may be the killer there. Any further input appreciated. Thanks to all those who replied.

Regards

Matt

Reply to
Matt

Mazda 6 or Primera....

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I would have to say

  1. Toyota
  2. Toyota
  3. Toyota

I leave the model choice to you.

Reply to
Phaeton

Phaeton ( snipped-for-privacy@none.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

The choice of model is unimportant. They're all bland.

Reply to
Adrian

...and not always as reliable as might be thought :-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

"Nice looking car when not on fire."

LOL...

Mike Barnard

Drive superb, but avoid the automatic.

Less interior space than the Focus for the budget ('cos you won't be getting a new one). The earlier models have a knobbly ride. Swedish ergonomics, decent choice of engines. Something like the 2.oT may well suffice just grand...

Hmmmm. Avoid heh.

They're, well, bland. But as you say, solid enough. You may also want to consider the Honda Accord and Nissan Primera in the same area.

Lots.

The Toyota Corolla. It has a shape not too far removed from the 307 and they're (surprisingly) an entertaining piece of kit, too.

Reply to
DervMan

I'd go for any except the peugot.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I'm gonna get flamed for this, to be sure...

What about a nice Vauxhall Omega (Elite) - a hell of a lot of car for very few bucks in the second hand market.

Not very economical to run (did get near 40mpg cruising up the motorway at good speed) - usually around low 20's for town driving (this is a

2.6l V6, auto-Elite, btw), but lots of mod-cons and refinement.

A large car, certainly (the estate is huge), maybe not very woman friendly for that, but generally reliable - the engines should run forever (or until the cam-belt persuades it to eat itself)

(dons fire-protection suit and awaits the flames)

Reply to
Mike Dodd

Forget the French rubbish for a start.

Forget how the car looks, who gives a crap at the end of the day? You're getting old enough not to give a monkey's bahookie! Go with proven reliability. Got to be Japanese. Just about all other car manufacturers, with their non-luxury cars, keep the production lines going, and send cars out with known faults, bu have a guide. Go investigate what the Japanese do. Production line stops until things are sorted.

Why are Honda known as being so reliable?

It's a bit harder choice-wise to limit yourself to an automatic. Can't your wife just sit a manual driving test? Would probably do her good anyway, as we all get bad driving habbits and what-not.

Reply to
David R

So? If Matt's posting on this newsgroup looking for a good value reliable family car, then that's the recommendation most people will make.

I think most people would like reliability, lesser depreciation, etc, the list goes on, exclusive of the fact they may or may not be perceived as 'bland'. It's a fair point, but we British are too hooked up on the looks of a car, which is why so many muppets buy French cars, and Fiats.

Reply to
David R

But isn't that the problem? People are attracted by these added-extras at not much extra monetary cost. That's why French cars are still selling so well, unfortunately.

Reply to
David R

Just a guess - you're not married, are you?

:-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Chris Whelan ( snipped-for-privacy@prejudicentlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

That's not a bald spot, is it, Chris? It's a thumb print.

Reply to
Adrian

I am, yes. It's about give and take. She gets a better car if she gets a manual, well, the chances are at least in her favour, should I say.

Reply to
David R

I *have* got a bald spot, now you come to mention it!

No wife for the last 16 years though :-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan