Slightly OT

Hi Wonder if anyone knows the how to for the following.

I wish to install a VDO Dayton MS5000 or MS5100 satnav system in my car.

I am capable of doing this ok,but am messed up with one wire that needs connecting.

The car is a Vauxhall Omega 2.5 V6 cdx, yr 2000.

The wire thats throwing me needs to be connected to the *speed pulse generator* also been told it's also known as the *distance frequency transmitter*.

As far as I know (need help) this unit is attached to the gearbox (automatic) and send a signal from the gear box to the speedo to record/show your speed (no speedo cable).

If this is the right unit that I need to connect satnav to how do//where do I connect the wire to to get the signal I need.

I think this wire is needed for *dead reckoning* for foward motion,also have to connect another to reverse lights OR any feed thats live when reverse is selected no problem on that tho.

So anyone know (any VX technicians in the group ?) Many thanks. Barry

Reply to
ForeverArsenal

This *may* be of use.

Peat

I have a partly German spreadsheet that says:-

Prod.- beginn 1994 The speed signal can be found in the foot area on the driver side on the left door frame, pin 6 of the left black 64 pin distributor plug. This manufacturer always uses cables coloured blue/red for the speed signal.

Prod.- beginn 09/1999 Car radio connector, ISO plug chamber 3 (A), pin 1. Is only valid for connections with radios 2003, 2004, 2005.

Hope you have more luck than me. The 'people' who fitted mine took the speed pulse from the dash and it only gives a pulse when the speedo starts reading at over well 10mph. Creeping along in traffic it ignores the GPS and consequentually you can be well past the turning you want because the Sat Nav doesn't think you are moving. It's a real bonus in those situations where you lose the GPS signal tho.

Reply to
Periproct

Pin 9 on the engine ECU will give you the signal.

Reply to
SimonJ

Hi Simon

Many thanks for the reply and info.

May I also thank Periproct for reply and Peat for the link,most interesting and helped a lot what as to what the sender unit looks like,many thanks.

Simon as regards pin 9 on the engine ECU ,do you know where the said ECU is located please ?.I have been unable to obtain a book of any kind on the Omega, books only available up to T reg 1999.

If I use as you suggest pin 9 do you know if this would cure the problem that Periproct is getting ? ie no signal to VDO satnav unit until over *10 mph*?.

Periproct is correct in saying that the pulse signal is required for *dead reckoning* for the forward motion ,also needs signal from reverse motion which of course is easy to find.

Many thanks

- Barry. If it ain't broke-don't fix it.

Reply to
ForeverArsenal

On the N/S inner wing, under the bonnet.

I thnk it is connected directly to the pulse generator, so will give a signal down to almost stopped.

When you have the system installed, select the 'system information' menu, then select 'i/o status', and it will allow you to monitor the speed pulse input (it may ask you for a code to access this menu, if it does try 6330)

I wouldn't worry too much about the reverse signal, I have never connected it, with no noticeable effect.

Reply to
SimonJ

Hi Simon.

Obviously my 'profesionally' (grrrrr) installed satnav is wired to what I would call the speedo signal. My problems would presumably be solved if I could wire it to whatever is the source of the speed signal. I'm assuming there must be some kind of inductive pickup which has to be no further forward in the drivetrain than the gearbox. I don't suppose you would know where that would be in a 1992 BMW 318i? I have to admit I haven't got it up on axle stands yet as my garage is full of neighbours car. Haynes makes no mention of it in the gearbox section. I did find some info on a 1984 model which said "Speedometer sender. Rotating disc magnetically opens and closes switch". I could understand a reed switch being able to cope at slow speeds but surely not able to open and close reliably at high speed. Could be wrong tho.

And to ForeverArsenal My info probably wasn't a lot of use but I thought I'd post it anyway as when I asked here a while ago about my speed pulse problem I didn't get any useful feedback. I think I did get a bit of sarcasm IIRC. :-)

Reply to
Periproct

Sorry, cant find the pinout for that car. By the sound of it, they may have taken a signal from the ABS system, as they usually don't work at very slow speeds. If your speedo is giving a reading at below 10MPH, then there must be a pulse behind the instrument panel at very slow speeds, you should be able to get a signal from there. If not go straight to the sender on the gearbox, it will be somewhere round the back end of the gearbox near where the propshaft connects.

Reply to
SimonJ

Thanks for that. Haynes says that most of my model have ABS but mine doesn't. The speedo only reads from 10mph up. Hopefully I'll have my garage back to myself before the weekend and I'll have an investigation.

Reply to
Periproct

Hi Periproct. As regards above many thanks for the reply and info. As to whether it applies to my year Omega or not I don't know but when one is stumped with a problem any information is worth considering.

Will hunt down Simonj suggestion and see how I get on, if unable to find//do Simonj info I will then have a look at your suggestion and the colour wire blue/red and see what that does for me. Think in your case I would be going back to installer of VDO and have a moan that it's not working as it should be. Hope you get it sorted.

Reply to
ForeverArsenal
Reply to
ForeverArsenal

Hi Periproct. As regards above many thanks for the reply and info. As to whether it applies to my year Omega or not I don't know but when one is stumped with a problem any information is worth considering.

Will hunt down Simonj suggestion and see how I get on, if unable to find//do Simonj info I will then have a look at your suggestion and the colour wire blue/red and see what that does for me. Think in your case I would be going back to installer of VDO and have a moan that it's not working as it should be. Hope you get it sorted.

Reply to
ForeverArsenal

The message from "ForeverArsenal" contains these words:

Ah, but if you fiddle with it long enough - it'll break anyway.

Reply to
Guy King

This may be the one you are looking for ->

Peat

Reply to
Peat

Hi Peat Again many thanks for that,wire colours tend to tie up with the colours that periproct posted. Gives me other option if pin 9 on ECU does not work out. Thanks again

Reply to
ForeverArsenal