Slippery steering wheel.

I have an older car, '94, with a leather clad s/wheel. Problem is that the leather is hard and smooth with no surface texture, making it slippery. Needs to be gripped quite firmly, especially when manouvering. I've tried treating it with a proprietory leather restorer, and even washed it with soap and water. Neither lasted more than a day. I'm thinking I might have to break the surface with coarse emery cloth, but before I do, has anyone had a similar problem and solved it, without taking such drastic measures? TIA. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

how about one of those cheap steering wheel covers? find them in all car parts shops.

Reply to
banjo

Cheers. A good practical suggestion. That would solve the problem, but they're so ghastly. I don't really want an eyesore like that stuck in front of me while I'm driving. I'll leave a cover as a last resort. :-) Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

In news:4649f8ab$0$8758$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net, Mike G wittered on forthwith;

Autoglym do a rather good leather cleaner / restorer type thing, that combined with their interior shampoo works for me.

Reply to
Pete M

Don't see what the problem is - I prefer leather wheels when they've aged like that.

*Don't* rough it up - all that'll do is make it sticky and make your hands black after a drive.
Reply to
SteveH

I found a leather cover in Halfords ( I know...), worked fine & looked fine in my old A6

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Maybe my profession has something to do with it. As an engineer the skin on my hands is quite tough and thick, with little natural friction on shiny surfaces. They're also naturally very dry.

The leather is not dirty, so I don't think that would be a problem. Might try Duncans suggestion though. See if Halfords have a cover I can live with. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

The problem if you rough it up is that you break the protective surface on the wheel, which means skin oils and sweat get into the leather - which makes it horrible and sticky. You get black palms because dye and bits of leather get into your hands.

Reply to
SteveH

Bad form and all that.....

You say your hands are naturally 'dry' - which may suggest you'd get away with it - but it only takes a couple of damp days to make the wheel feel like a half chewed fruit pastil.

Reply to
SteveH

Gloves?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

I don't think so. Even though I have a pair of stringback driving gloves I was given many years ago. Never been worn. I've never liked the feel of driving with gloves.. Do people still use them for driving? I can maybe understand using them in a convertible with the top down, but in a temperature controlled saloon? Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

There are all manner of steering wheel covers nowadays. One of my old ladies has acquired one with medium hard-ish "ergonomic" lumps and bumps because she has trouble gripping the wheel because of her arthritis. Try your friendly local factors.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat