So is my car dead??? Advice much appreciated

Hi. I've got a '97 Seat Toledo 2.0 litre sport that seems to have given up the ghost. It isn't worth much so if it's a major (i.e. expensive) problem, I doubt it would be worth fixing it. Here is my best description of what happened.

I was cruising along at about 30mph when the engine just cut out with no warning. I'd been driving the car for a good 20 minutes, so the engine was warmed up. When I tried to restart it, the starter motor turned over as strongly as usual, but the engine just won't fire up. I ended up having to get my mate to tow the car back to my place. Unfortunately he isn't a mechanic, he's just someone who I knew owns a tow rope and a 4x4, so he had no suggestions as to the nature of the problem.

There definitely seems to be petrol getting to the engine, because when I try to start I can smell petrol in the engine compartment for several minutes. The battery is only a few months old, so I don't think that is the problem either.

I'd be happy for any suggestions as I am not particularly clued up on car engines.

Reply to
dave smith

when was the cambelt last changed? if unknown .

  1. check cambelt.
  2. check for a spark
Reply to
Mrcheerful

Engine spins on starter you say? Does everything else work like heater, lights etc? If so, it could be a reasonably simple fix. I had a Skoda that did exactly the same and it turned out to be a dodgy connection on the back of the ignition barrel.

Reply to
gazzafield

"gazzafield" wrote in message news:s snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net...

Thanks for replying. Everything else is working properly; lights, air-con, radio, wipers, heater, etc.

I'll check out the ignition barrel and let you know how it goes.. I think (hope) I have a book somewhere that tells me whereabouts on the engine it is.

Reply to
dave smith

Thanks for replying. The cam belt looks ok and is fairly new- it was replaced about 18 months ago.

Must show my ignorance and ask how I check for a spark.

Reply to
dave smith

dave smith ("dave smith" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

It's the bit on the back of the ignition lock, where you put the key.

Reply to
Adrian

dave smith ("dave smith" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Remove one plug lead and plug, put plug back in plug lead, hold with end touching some solid metalwork on the engine - USE AN INSULATED TOOL LIKE A PAIR OF PLIERS - and get somebody to turn the engine over on the key. You should see a small bright blue spark.

Reply to
Adrian

That would be impossible with my 1998 Peugeot 306 as the coil pack sits directly on top of the engine and plugs - there are no plug leads.

Is there any way of testing for sparks on cars like this?

David Hearn

Actually, our 306 had something similar in the past - the earth lead from the battery to the chassis had broken. The one to the engine still worked, thus the starter started, but the ECU etc wasn't getting power so no start.

David Hearn

Indeed. You have just remiinded me of the very same situation with my girlfriend's (now wife) Fiasco.

Reply to
gazzafield

You can do it, it's just that the "plug lead" is now low tension wire instead of old-fashioned HT lead.

Reply to
adder1969

This will also reveal any petrol leaks.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Liek the petrol/air mixture coming out of the plug hole? I always use a spare plug for this kind of test.

Reply to
adder1969

I was thinking more of the petrol he says he can smell in the engine compartment.

It may be useful to have a second observer, to pinpoint the source of the fireball...

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

On 16-Oct-07 15:21:16, Ian Dalziel said

Thank you Ian, that made my evening. :)

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

rofl !!!

Reply to
reg

Thanks.

I didn't get blown up as some had suggested I might ; ), but maybe that's because I didn't see any sparks either. This looks like it may be the source of the problem.

So does this result mean that all I need are new spark plugs and it'll fire up, or am I just being too optimistic.

Reply to
dave smith

far too optimistic, you now need to discover WHY there are no sparks, most likely suspect is usually the crank sensor. if you are in the aa or similar then get them out, they will read the computer and see why it doesn't go. sometimes you can get this service free in the carparks of big shopping centres, Lakeside does it for instance, I must admit I have been tempted to tow a non starting car there just to get them to diagnose it !!

Reply to
Mrcheerful

If this is the regular 2.0 8v 115hp VW (GTi) engine then these are well known for the ignition amps popping, and also the ECU power relay.

To determine which, when cranking the engine does the tacho needle quiver at all? If not, then its most likely the ECU power supply (fuse or relay)

If the tacho does register (indicating primary ignition is sound, and the ECU is powered up) but there are still no sparks, then replace the amp.

Tim. .

Reply to
Tim..