So why is'nt it starting?

Car in question is a Montego Countryman estate that has previously given no trouble. Won't start with jump leads....... Battery re-charged but very quickly lost its charge i.e. all electrics not working....... Zilch response when turning the key....... Alternator? Starter motor? Duff battery? Any thoughts much appreciated prior to calling out our friendly neighbourhood car mechanic.

Reply to
Catullus

We need to narrow this down a bit. First, is the battery OK? If it loses its charge quickly unaided then get a new one. If you're not sure, disconnect the battery and use one from another vehicle via jump leads.

Are you saying that if the battery is fully charged and you also try to jump start the engine, it won't crank?

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

The message from "Rob graham" contains these words:

And is it petrol or diesel?

Reply to
Guy King

check battery check switched solonoid voltage at starter.

if all ok, changee starter. o and change bat if u say it goes flat fast.

--

Reply to
Neil

Sorry for not being specific - its a petrol engine. Tried tonight disconnecting the battery and running jump leads from the battery in my partner's car to the terminals...........radio, lights, clock etc. all worked but the engine still wouldn't turn over, but it did make a slight noise. You've probably guessed that I'm not very mechanically-minded........

Reply to
Catullus

The message from "Catullus" contains these words:

Right - it sounds like the starter motor's got jammed, though it's not easy to tell from your description.

Down the back of the engine you'll find the starter motor - it'll have the thick lead from the battery running to it. Give the smaller cylinder

- the one on top of the starter motor, a wallop with the handle of a big screwdriver. Then try again.

Reply to
Guy King

Or put the car in gear, let the handbrake off and rock it forward and back a few times then try to start it again... works on most cars if the smashing the living out of the starter solenoid doesn't work or the pinion is stuck on the starter shaft of an inertia starter.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

I assume its got petrol ?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

Are you using good quality jump leads? You can buy jump leads for a fiver but they are very thin and you might as well use two pieces of wet string 'cos they'll never work - the internal resistance of the leads can be so high that it doesn't allow enough current to flow for correct operation of the starter motor. Get some *proper* jump leads, they'll probably cost around £20 or more but they work a treat (sizewise, I think they are around

25mm squared CSA).

Mogweed.

Reply to
Mogweed

I'm assuming it isn't able to turn over in the first place.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Yes, its got petrol and yes, the jump leads aren't top quality.

Reply to
Catullus

I'd go with duff battery. Cracks can form internally that knock a battery out suddenly.

Trying to start via inadequate jump leads without a decent battery in the host vehicle is likely to be dodgy at best.

Tim

If the engine dosen't turn on the key the starters at fault, as long as the battery OK of course.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I think you are thinking about pre-engaged starters, theres not many of them about now

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Do the leads get hot or smoke when you turn the key??

Bill

Reply to
Bill

oops sorry I mean inertia

Bill

Reply to
Bill

The message from "Bill" contains these words:

Have they gone back to inertia starters then?

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Bill" contains these words:

Damn!

Reply to
Guy King