Sold a car that's not what it should be / possible suspension trouble - rights?

Righto. My Mum's bought a Polo Harlequin (multi coloured horrorbox if you're not acquainted with the idea). But it's not a Polo Harlequin. It looks very much like a red polo that's been resprayed to look like Harlequin by a previous owner - door hinges etc. where paint has been slightly chipped, red paint shows through, and it lacks the special harlequin seat fabric. I expect that when I check the options codes and chassis numbers with VW that they'll confirm that it's not a Harlequin.

The other thing is that the car doesn't drive terrifically well. It feels like it needs new dampers, but it might just be that all Polos drive like this. OTOH it did seem worryingly able to drift around without being given any steering input by me when I had a very short drive of it today. It could be the super cheapo tyres fitted, but it could be suspension trouble - I've never had any of my old bangers do this to me...

Anyway, my point is this: The dealer almost certainly knew that he wasn't actually selling a Polo Harlequin (if he can't spot a paint job like that, he shouldn't be in the trade). Just in case you're wondering, VW made the proper Harlequins by making one of each colour and swapping panels. My mum's not that bothered by this, but I'm bothered by what seems to be dodgy handling on first impressions (the car managed to go from firmly on the right side of the road to the middle all by itself), particularly when she's bought this to be more suitable for the motorway than her old car. Money's not much of an issue for her, but she has paid well over what the car's worth, and I don't want to see her forking out a couple of hundred for fitting a decent set of tyres and replacing bits of suspension when the dealer should have sorted it in the first place before selling it.

So, now that the car's bought, collected and the logbook's been signed over, has she got a leg to stand on if I try to move her towards getting the dealer to take the car back? The car and dealer both give me a very bad gut feeling, but if it's very difficult to get him to take the car back, it'll save lots of arguments convincing her to get rid of the car (she loves the thing for some reason), and she might as well just spend the cash and get it fixed.

And for the record, I didn't see the car until she'd collected it...

Reply to
Doki

He advertised it as something it wasn't and would be in deep shit if this was reported to the local TSO.

Reply to
SteveH

Do you and your mun not talk much?

Reply to
ThePunisher

We normally only communicated by semaphore or via a mediator.

Reply to
Doki

What Steve said. Trading Standards plus Sale of Goods Act. You have up to 6 months to make a claim I believe but you have to inform the dealer in writing preferably by registered post and give him a chance to rectify problems.

Reply to
Malc

I don't know how he can rectify the problems, other than to source a proper, original Harlequin of the same age and mileage or newer.

Actually, would be fun watching him sweat trying to do that!

Reply to
SteveH

Yes. Get on the phone to VW and confirm that this is not the genuine article and then contact the supplying dealer

Reply to
Dr Zoidberg

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Or - surely, a preferable solution - finding a Polo that's all one colour...

Reply to
Adrian

Yes, that's the obvious solution.

But only if there's a significant cash settlement to the buyer - good original Harlequins fetch a fairly hefty premium, *if* you can find one for sale.

Reply to
SteveH

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Why? For the love of god, why?

They're utterly tasteless.

They may as well have a badge on the back saying "I'm mad, me. I am."

Reply to
Adrian

I think that's the idea.

Like that Colin [1] (I think?) bloke from 'The Fast Show'.

[1] Every office has one - ginger, no taste in clothes or glasses, and always making pathetic puns / practical jokes.
Reply to
SteveH

Your sig sep appears to be in the wrong place.

HTH.

:-)

Reply to
Grant

Didn't realise you'd met my mum.

Reply to
Doki

You appear to be confusing me with that ginger freak Dervman ;-)

(My hair's black with 'distinguished' grey bits)

Reply to
SteveH

Doki ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Ah.

Reply to
Adrian

Agreed. For further ammo you could maybe get an MoT test done on it and hope it fails on something non-trivial, which would mean the vehicle also fails the requirement that what you're being sold has to be roadworthy.

Reply to
Nick Dobb

Right... a quick scan of the thread reveals that no-one's mentioned the obvious thing given the handling etc., and apparent spray work - get a full HPi check done on it asap.

Secondly... service history - any sign of any of that?

Did she see it advertised, i.e: in the paper, as a Harlequin, or did she, as I suspect, drive past a car front, think 'ahhh... that looks nice', and then went on from there?

If the former, you want use that as evidence she's been misled when extracting the money back off the toerag in question.

Care to name and shame the dealer concerned?

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Not much point in HPIing it IMO. £30 and I'm alread 90% sure it's not a Harlequin, which should be enough to get rid of it. The handbook has a sticker on it saying "VW Polo Harlequin", so I expect the invoice says something similar to. Looks like it should be going back as not being as described.

No idea about history, but I wouldn't be surprised by adjustments. I'll have a look today if I can.

Aye. Just dropped in at the garage and had a look around.

Not really as nothing's been proven yet.

Reply to
Doki

I THINK what he is getting at is that given the handling you describe and a poor quality paint job you have to suspect that there is something VERY wrong, like a major crash without proper repair or even a cut-and-shunt. Checking all the relavent numbers match would be a good start, and I guess a HPI check may tell you of insurance write-offs.

Reply to
davidjones

Last time I checked Harlequins were worth about £500-750 more than a standard polo at VW shows but if as you say it's not got the correct fabric it's probably a botch job, if it's moving about the road look at the front end suspension (they are strong cars so if anything has bent it was a major impact). They are all a bit wallowy on anything other than the 1.6, 1.4 16v and SDIs as they are the only ones to get ARBs and they make a huge difference to the feel of the car.

IIRC the Harlequin also came with a special steering wheel, gear leaver and the

16v bumpers (single piece with 5 openings).

Interestingly VW we really surprised at how well it sold throughout Europe so made a Golf version for the USA and a classic Beetle for Mexico. The entire concept came from 2 show cars that were put together for the 1995 Frankfurt show and advertising on Phone cars to show some of the colour range off. VW were then asked by the public to build them and were swamped with orders (3,806 were made) the first 1000 customers got a certificate and an individually numbered keyring.

The panels weren't random there were 4 colour schemas though you couldn't order one specifically so that much was random. You say the car is primarily red, so that's number 4, red body (roof, sills & pillars) it should have dark blue/purple wings at the front. a yellow front bumper, hatch and doors, a pistachio green bonnet and rear bumper and rear doors.

HTH

Reply to
Depresion