Sound insulation suggestions?

Citroen Berlingo 'MPV'. The rear wheel arches protrude into the 'boot' and don't have any carpet/upholstery on them, they are just bare metal. Above about 40 mph, and especially on some road surfaces, the rear tyre noise is very noticeable. A real oversight on Citroen's part IMO, as it detracts from what is otherwise a very 'car like' vehicle.

Any suggestions how I can improve things? Presumably some sort of carpet, though my carpet fitting skills are nil, especially round such an irregular shape. Whatever the solution I'd like it to look as neat as possible.

TIA.

Reply to
Sim C.

You use to be able to get sound deadening pads for use in home made loudspeakers. I'm not sure where you'd get them from Wilmslow audio used to sell speaker kits but I dunno if they still exist.

Here you are

not expensive either.

Reply to
Malc

You can get a pack of automotive ones from any decent paint / autofactors. £20 for 10. Not pretty though. The only vaguely aesthetically pleasing idea I can some up with is boxing in the inner arches with MDF and carpeting them.

Reply to
Doki

In article , Malc writes

snip

snip Maplin electronics sell 'Brown Bread' self adhesive pads for this purpose.

Reply to
Chris Holford

The definitive would be stick on bitumen panels - as used inside doors etc. But not very pretty - and difficult to fit to multi-curved surfaces.

To insulate noise you need to add mass. Especially road noise which is likely quite low frequency. Several layers of bitumen paint might be the easiest way. But not pretty. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You would notice a distinct lack of noise if you spray underbody seal underneath the rear wheel arches, also instead you could try sticking a large sound deadening patch to the underside of the wheelarch, just make sure you don't trap dirt and moisture.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

That's what Honda have done with the latest Civic rear wheel arches... sealer and then a layer of what looks like a rubberised felt inside the wheel arch, It is multistranded and looks quite open structure but I can't help but think how long till it gets filled with road dirt and allows the wheel arch to corrode from a weak spot in the sealer.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

One could say, "does it matter", the body is galvanised, so it would still not rust until way outside the warranty period anyway (12 years). Done properly I cant foresee any issues, just powerwash the crud out, let it dry properly on a good hot day, they stick & Spray...

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Road noise, which nobody ever noticed in old cars is now the most noticeable sound in the modern vehicle. Michelin have invented a new wheel- the 'tweel', which is wheel and tyre combined. Apparently it works fine but it's noisier than standard kit. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

Thanks for the suggestions all. Decided a 'partial' carpeting of the wheel arch can be done fairly easily and neatly, so I'll try that. Best carpet? Rubber backed type stuff? Any suggestions on glue that will stick rubber to metal and hopefully clean off the metal ok if I make a mess of it? Something water based maybe?

Reply to
Sim C.

Spray carpet adhesive will stick well, but is potentially very messy. EvoStik impact? Personally I'd use Tiger Seal or similar, but that ain't gonna come off!

Reply to
Chris Bolus