Source for Girling Brake parts

I've a citroen ZX which has a small problem with one of the front brake calipers- one of the pins that the caliper slides on has corroded slightly and is now sticking.

I've spoken with citroen and whilst they'd be happy to sell me a complete caliper... I've also spoken with the local independent spares outlet and they'd also be happy to sell me a service exchange caliper... but not parts.

Does anyone know of a Girling agent that would know which calipers ended up on which cars and would be willing to sell spare parts?

I'm sure it's only a tenners worth of bits at most...

Thanks!

Reply to
deadmail

front brake

corroded

independent spares

caliper...

calipers ended

A visit to a breakers might be the easiest solution. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Amazingly Halfords used to sell these

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Your local motor factors will sell you a reconditioned caliper. The last ZX I did had new discs, pads and calipers for under 100quid.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Can you remove the pin wire brush it and clean it up with some emery tape? This might work, it all depends on how corroded the pin is.

-- James

Reply to
James

I did that two years ago... suspect it's slightly out of true as well.

Still, thanks for the ideas!

Reply to
deadmail

Have you asked them specifically for a pin kit? Most makes do a bag of pins and springs for about £10-12, but I haven't checked for a ZX. The spares geezer may be attempting to up his sales figures by selling you the whole thing.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Trouble with that is they're usually plated, and once the plating has gone they'll rust again quickly even if cleaned properly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

We looked at the microfiche, they had the pad pins, but not the caliper ones. Same story at the independent Citroen place. I think they're telling me the truth.

But I'm sure Girling sell them (or someone does) to the people that do the refurb jobs.

Reply to
deadmail

Try a motor factors, almost any motor factors. Or try your local Lucas stockist (not service centre)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

The pin on which my Xantia front calipers slide is well greased and has little rubber boots on it to keep the grease in and the dirt out, so my pins aren't plated. When I last took them out to grease them, they were shiny and looked like they were new.

-- James

Reply to
James

I'll bet they are plated or coated in some way. 'Raw' steel is rarely used anywhere on a car as it rusts near instantly. Even in storage before the part is fitted. The common plating for something like this would be cadmium - unless it is an accurate fit where it's more likely to be chrome of some type. Could even be stainless steel.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

The pins on mine were bright like stainless where they had been in the grease but more tarnished than actually corroded at the exposed end, so I assumed that they weren't stainless.

I did notice that a lot of the screws and bolts on the Xantia came apart easilly since they had been nickel or zinc plated which I thought was nice.

-- James

Reply to
James