Source of clunking noise?

I have an S-reg peugeot 406 which has started occasionally making a clunking noise when I change gear or accelerate suddenly. It appears to come from under either the middle or the rear-end of the car. Surely it can't be a clutch problem if the noise is coming from that direction? And surely not a backaxle problem?

Reply to
Paul

it probably has a loose or damaged exhaust system.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

And/or a soft engine mounting allowing the exhaust to slap up to the body or down to the axle.

-- r

Thanks guys -- I'll get these two items checked out. P

Reply to
Paul