spark plug reamer

Hi,

Has anyone used one of these:

The web site says it "can cure cross threads and minor damage" but when I looked at one in-store the description on the packaging was more watered down, saying that it would clean grime from the threads making cross-threading less likely.

Some years ago I did cross thread a spark plug and I thought for a fiver this might be useful if I ever have another disaster but now I am not so sure.

Will it cure cross threads, in which case I will get one, or is it more for preventative maintenance to be used to clean the threads before insertion of the plugs?

TIA

Reply to
Fred

Is the "cure" for a cross threaded plug hole not to have a Helicoil inserted .

Usenet Nutter

I would imagine that the necessity for a helicoil would depend upon whether a plug could be inserted into the correct threads without stripping or being blown out.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

Yup. It depends on how badly you've crossthreaded it.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Yes, that's what happened to me. I just wondered whether this tool could have prevented me needing that. For five pounds it seems too good to be true.

Reply to
Fred

It'll fix a little bit of damage, which may stop you crossthreading something all the way.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Hi Fred, You can make one from an old sparkplug by cutting a few slots down the threads with a hacksaw. Thread chasers will not restore a damaged thread in an alloy head but will clean up the thread form. Once the thread form has been pulled away from the head there is little you can do short of an insert in most cases. In an ideal world you use a thread chaser to just freshen up the thread form before a replacement plug is screwed in. Remember though, a thread chaser will just as easily cause a cross thread as will a plug so it is a case of always light lubricating the threads and hand screwing a plug in ensuring it does not bind, because if it does, back it off and try again.

Gio

Reply to
Gio

Fred explained :

I would imagine its biggest drawback is that it is so short. The problem with modern plug holes is that you have to try to start the plug into its thread, using a socket plus extension - a lot of play between them and not much feel for the plug being straight with the threads, which is why they get crossed. Now if this were longer it might be more useful.

I have in the past used an old plug to clean threads up damaged threads. You just break the centre insulator out of an old plug, weld the threaded part on the end of a length of rod or tube, then grind a narrow slot down the side of the thread. It worked as good or probably even better than this gadget.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I as an ex 2cv chap used to repair lots of stripped sparkplugs using helicoils without removing the heads (I know that you get dire warnings about this but we never had a problem)

I have got a stepped tap

which worked fantastically covered in heavy grease to remove the swarf screwed in the helicoil and gripped the tang with thin nose pliers Push in hard and extract ( If you pull the tang it pulls out the helicoil as well)

Some experts used Top hat inserts which always came out with the plug later and were IHMO completly useless

HTH Phil

Reply to
nimbusjunk

" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

You and many others. Grease the tap, and you'll be fine.

I dunno about "always" - depends on how well they were fitted, and whether people grease the plug threads - but they can be the last-ditch if a helicoil's been mullered.

Reply to
Adrian

& as with everything there's good ones & bad ones, Timeserts have always worked for me.
Reply to
Duncan Wood

these:

yep.. I have one in my garage /some where/ . I cross threaded a plug hole on my 1st Honda Prelude ( I had two of them ) and was too scared to try this. However I got my Dad to do it for me and it worked a treat. ISTR it can take a lot of effort ( and nerves of steel !) to fully insert one of these things.. plenty of WD40 ? best wishes !

Reply to
mr p

these:

You only cross a couple of threads anyway. so most will still be intact.

Alloy heads normally have long reach plugs.

Covering the Tap with grease collects the metal particals and stops (most!) them from going down into the cylinder.

Reply to
Rob