Speaker wiring in Fiesta?

Hello,

My nephew is fitting some gigantic speakers in his Fiesta Si and there is a slight problem (apart from needing ear plugs). The wires to the existing rear speakers both have a stripe on them so we can't work out which should go to the positive of the new speaker.

Can anyone help please? It's an N reg 1.6.

Ian.

Reply to
jtx57

Doesn't matter as long as you stick with the same throughout the whole car, i.e putting stripe on +ve on all speakers otherwise you end up with some being out of phase. They'll still work regardless of polarity.

Reply to
Conor

I wonder what would happen if you ran front and rear out of phase with each other? I've heard of subs in home cinema setups being run this way, when they're on opposite sides of a room.

Reply to
Doki

It _can_ create a feeling of greater "depth", because one speaker "feels" like it's coming from further away.

OTOH, it could alternately compress and expand the air inside the passenger compartment, and suck the life out of the occupants.

I'm afraid the words "gigantic speakers" don't bode well for the situation ;-)

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Hi Pete,

At least I talked him out of fitting a subwooder the size of a wheelie bin!

Reply to
jtx57

I suggest that he should connect himself to the mains at 240 volts, brown to the right testicle and blue to the left (although the reverse would be just as effective), and then switch on. This might either bring him to his senses or remove him from the gene pool. These idiots with pounding stereos are are just a blight on the environment and should be banned, along with the use of mobile phones whilst driving. The one consolation is that they'll probably all be stone deaf before they're 30, although unfortunately their 'music' will become progressively louder to compensate. :-)

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

Hi Terry,

I don't like loud music either, but do like a stereo that sounds good. It is very noticable when the whole system is upgraded. Yes there is more bass, but the treble is crisp too. It's far clearer than the standard Ford one. I think people with cars sounding like they have no exhaust should be treated the same as cars with extra loud stereos. They can be quite a nuisance too. It's a good point about the music becoming louder as they go a bit deaf. People just do not realise what damage they are doing to their hearing. Who is going to be the first to sue a car stereo manufacturer!

unfortunately

Reply to
jtx57

"Terry D" mumbled:

While you're at it, ban baseball caps. ;-)

Reply to
Guy King

Hi "Doki"

That will kill the bass stone dead and the mid-range will then tend to 'wander' around.

Reply to
Steve Sweet

In most things electronic, the stripe denotes the negative. Wouldn't guarantee it on ICE, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Not always,on wires taken to mean positive.

Dave

Reply to
dave roberts

Heh heh. Your experience must differ, then.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

What things electronic then, apart from the negative end of caps ?

Dave

Reply to
dave roberts

All the wall warts I can be bothered to check now, for a start. Although I've seen them the other way too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman