Split Autobox and torque converter

Hi there,

I was working towards swapping the engine today, and removed it from the car complete with gearbox, due to the poor access to the back of the block.

It's a Ford essex engine with an autobox.

When time came to split the box, i undid the bolts for the torque converter, via the starter hole, then removed the bolts from the bellhousing.

I then split the box and engine. However the torque converter has remained attached the the plate on the engine. On examination there appear to be thin lines of weld on the flats where the torque converter meets the plate.

Everything I have read suggests that the torque converter should, indeed must, stay on the gearbox.

Assuming I can work out how to get the converter off the back of the engine, will it just slot back onto the front of the box, or are one or both now buggered?

MW

Reply to
mike whiskey

I would replace the gearbox input seal, but the TC will slot back onto the gearbox, though some jiggling is usually necessary to make the oil pump drive re-engage as well as the gearbox input shaft.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

What can happen if you remove/replace the box with the TC still attached to the 'flywheel' is damage to the seal on the box. But plenty get away with it. It can be more tricky to do as there are splines and a tang to drive the pump both of which need to be aligned before the TC will slide home.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)