Squealing tyres

The front tyres on my Audi squeals every time I move off from a standing position. Tyres were replaced recently but still does this. Are there any mechanical reasons why this happens?

Reply to
Alex Buell

Your tracing could be way out but you should notice that all the time.Are you sure it's the tyres not one of the drive belts?

Reply to
Depresion

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 09:11:25 -0000, I waved a wand and this message magically appears in front of Depresion:

I checked the tyre pressures, they're correct. But I will see if I can get the tracking checked out. Thanks.

Reply to
Alex Buell

pressing too hard on the loud pedal causes tyres to make a noise!!

Reply to
Me

Not exactly a mechanical more a psychological cause.

Reply to
Depresion

In news: snipped-for-privacy@munted.org.uk, Alex Buell wittered on forthwith;

IIRC it's something to do with the tyres having a high "styrene" content. The full explanation eludes me, but I remember the late, great, LJKS waffling about it for ages.

Goodyear tyres used to screech more than any other IME.

Reply to
Pete M

"Pete M" wrote in news:emuhha$8v7$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org:

Whoooooooo?

Also, IME, some surfaces are more screechy than others. Car parks often have an especially high screech factor. My top screechy car park is the local Tescos, on a dry summers day.

Stu

Reply to
Stu

LJKS. Now, that was that motorcycle fanatic -- a charismatic writer I might add -- in the "Car" magazine. Right? I didn't know he had perished. Shortly after the oil crisis in 1972, he promoted in the magazine his invention of a device to cut fuel consumption. This consisted of set of 4 rubber (?plastic) caps linked together with one rubber sling. The caps were to fit over the spark plugs. I can't remember whether these had magnet inside or not. For a special offer to the readers, £5 would secure a set, he enthused. I bought one, and of course it didn't work. I never bought another issue of the magazine.

Reply to
Lin Chung

In the mid-70's, I had an Audi 80. Starting from standing, the car often showed wheel spin with a scrapping noise lasting for a second or two, i.e. before the car actually moved. I wonder if you are referring to this noise. The way I overcame this was to release the (foot) brake *very* slowly, so that the car *rolled* forward gently to start off. The Audi had Conti tyres, if my memory hasn't failed me.

Reply to
Lin Chung

Oh, forgot to add: One way to be sure this is wheel spin is to observe if this is worst on gravel level ground.

Reply to
Lin Chung

Tyres are like that in Australia. Have you got Aussie tyres?

NB: Posted when pissed.

Reply to
Doki

Sainsbury's car park on the A4 just before Taplow is good as well.

Reply to
Hooch

Shock absorbers on the way out? We used to have a Renault 4 that squealed like a pig on its Michelin X tyres when the front shocks wore out.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie