SR20DE vs QG18DE (Primera P11-144)

Looking at upgrading my car.... I don't trust it anymore.

Looking for a Primera P11-144.

Looking out on the market, I see 2.0 litre and 1.8 litre models, which I gather to be SR20DE and QG18DE.

I know SR20's have a fabulous reputation, but I don't know anything about the QG18DE.

Obviously as far as the UK goes, I believe that my current model car was fitted with a 2.0 Litre SR20De which gave an output of 123bhp. I understand that the QG18DE will give approx 115bhp, while the two litre variants in the Primera P11s will give out 140bhp.

Im figuring, and correct me if Im wrong, that I hopefully won't be too down on power by using a QG18De compared to my current car - so hopefully I should be able to get more miles for my money.

But Im still stuck at QG18DE vs SR20DE.

Can I expect the same reliability in the QG, and will it also be as spritely as my SR?

Thanks Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

I have a 2001 'What Car?' magazine road test of the P11-144 1.8 vs. same size Mondeos, Avensis, Vectra, 406 and Accord. It was 0-60 9.9sec, top speed 121mph, not the quickest which was the Toyota at 9.1sec and 127mph, but it was by far the quickest in 4th and 5th gear 30-50 and 50-70 tests, being about 5 or 6 seconds quicker than the slowest and 2.5sec quicker than the second fastest. No mention of this in the text of course which had the usual anti-Nissan bias with no facts to back it up.

Reply to
Steve B

Much appreciated. Thanks Steve.

Cya Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

I drive a 2000 P11-144 1.8s with 72000 on the clock. Had it for about a year now.

The figures agree with my bum on seat assessments. Very flexible engine and in gear acceleration certainly quick enough for me. Apparently the engine has some kind of variable valve timing and is tuned to give low down power, taken from here:

Certainly if you rev it it goes well, don't know if its the valve timing but at about 3700-4000 rpm there's a bit of a change in engine note (for the better :)) and a bit of an increase in acceleration, revs up to redline /limiter freely (6200 I think and 60 odd in second gear), changing up keeps revs about 4000 and it keeps going.

I've not driven a 2.0 but I think if I did I'd like that even more.

Check

for opinions - some rumours of timing chains (gotta love them) being less robust than on the SR20. Regular oil changes a necessity.

Car nicely kitted out as standard too.

Recommend them - give one a try.

Jez

Reply to