ST220 stalling

Hi,

Further to my previous thread about the cam position sensor changing that has fixed the code & intermittent MIL but it still stalls occasionally.

It seems to be predominantly a soft, no judder stall when depressing the clutch within a minute or to of starting when warm. Also fuel economy has dropped as well by about 20% (big deal in this car!).

Runs on LPG but don't think that's relevant, as the fuel economy loss is showing up on the dashboard readout (so from petrol ECU) and when it stalls when warm I've also noticed it also does it when it hasn't yet switched to LPG.

IACV?

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

Peter Spikings put finger to keyboard:

IME the IACV has most effect when the engine is cold. Wouldn't expect it to have a huge effect on fuel economy.

There's no harm in whipping it off and blasting with brake cleaner. You could try running with it (electrically) disconnected but that won't prove things one way or another. Might stop the stalling though.

You could also have a split in a vacuum pipe somewhere. Get it running, rev it up and down and listen for wheezing.

Reply to
Scion

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, just had a new kid so took some time to get round to looking at this!

I couldn't hear any wheezing aside from the IACV when cold and idling and a short hiss from the throttle body when blipping it (all presumably normal).

It took me a while to find but I dug out an old ODBII computer interface and noticed a few things which I'm not sure are relevant or not:

  • When idling the short and long fuel trims are about 3-4%. At fast idle the short moves to 5% IIRC and the long moves to 10%. At >5000 the long term moves to 12% and the short term drops to -2% or so. I guess positive means it's adding fuel to compensate for less vacuum than expected?
  • The TPS never reports more when 85% when accelerator fully depressed (engine off!)
  • It hunts a bit when returning to idle, takes 3-4 seconds to settle on it's normal 750 and from then it's rock steady.
  • There are 4 O2 sensors, two per bank. The number 1 on each bank fluctuates and the number 2 sensors stick at about 0.7V for bank 2 but just above zero (0.03V or so) for bank 1.
  • It claims it always is running closed loop even at >5000, but that might be the software or something related to interference by the LPG ECU?

Thanks again,

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings