Stag steering rack gaitors

Hi I've just had an MOT failure on my Triumph Stag steering rack gaitors. I understand that I will need to separate the balljoint and wish to know which is best the fork type separator or the scissor type? Also I'm told I need to remove the track rod end, do I need a special tool for this too. Are there any other special tools that I need ie- spring clamp? This is going to be a learning experience for me and the haynes doesn't describe how to do this job so any advice very much appreciated.

Thankyou in advance

Jon

Reply to
jayseeblue

Unless you intend replacing the balljoint, use a scissor type as the fork types pretty much always split the rubbers. No special tool for splitting the track rod end needed. You may need to use your balljoint seperator if it's extremely stuck.

Reply to
Conor

Get a scissors type one - they are the best. The trackrod end (TRE) will have to be removed. Unless it's rusted on no special tools are needed to remove it - just spanners.

The first thing to do before separating the joint is to mark the top of the track rod with tippex etc and loosen the TRE lock nut. If the track rod has turned, return it to the original position with mole grips etc using your mark. Now separate the joint, stop the trackrod turning and count the number of turns needed to unscrew the TRE so it can be put back as near the same as possible - but have the toe-in checked afterwards anyway. If the TRE is seized on the rod, heat the TRE with a blowlamp.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Care to explain what you mean? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from jayseeblue contains these words:

I know we're not supposed to nitpick spelling, but I do hope you mean gaiters. If not, you'd better get them fixed snappy.

Reply to
Guy King

Have you never used a balljoint splitter on a track rod end that's seized and won't come out?

Strange man.

Reply to
Conor

I always use a puller to break the taper. But you covered this in your first part. TREs often seize on the track rod thread and it looked like you were referring to this.

Try reading your post again. You split the ball joint taper and that does need a special tool. It unscrews from the track rod and that - if you're lucky - just needs spanners.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

'gators.

HTH

Reply to
PC Paul

The message from "PC Paul" contains these words:

Sod it. I'm going back to my paving slabs.

Reply to
Guy King

Crawl underneath them?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

No, taking them from where they're leaning against the swing and put them where they belong on the patio.

Sunburn yesterday, rained on today.

Reply to
Guy King

Rain? It's lovely here :-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

No rain here Thursday. And the sun's shining again today.

I've been doing what I class as gardening. Pulling out what I think is weeds and replacing them with things from the garden centre which I'll think are weeds in a few months time. Should really stick to cars. More easy to identify components. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from Chris Whelan contains these words:

I'm not sure which I prefer. I got burned on Wednesday but today since it's rained it's all sweaty out there, despite being rather cooler. And soggy to kneel on.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

Not a patch on the wife's idea of gardening. She asked what she ought to do about the front garden so I said "Pull up everything unless it looks big and imposing".

I came home to a bare patch adorned with a specemin quality thistle and the same standard of dandylion.

Reply to
Guy King