started ok then battery light came on after idling for 20 mins?

Started OK this morning when it was very cold. Then left it for 20 mins idling to warm up.

Stuck heater on, rear demister etc then battery light came on. Knackered battery or just car cant cope with all these things turned on whilst idling?

How do I check if its battery or alternator?

Reply to
paulfoel

In order of likelihood:

Slipping/knackered auxiliary drive belt. Alternator low output. (One diode failed, or brushes low?) Loose/dirty connection in the charging circuit.

If you have a reasonably accurate meter, you can measure the following voltages across the battery:

When it has been standing all night. When first started with no extra load. At idle with everything switched on. At fast idle with everything switched on.

You can either post the results here, or look online for what they should be.

Should it not be possible to carry out those tests, seek help. If an AA/ RAC member, they carry automated test equipment that is reliable. If you have 'Home Start' you could always suggest that it wouldn't start ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

thanks chris will try that....

Got feeling battery is fairly new. looking for receipt... :-)

Reply to
paulfoel
[...]

It's pretty unlikely to be the battery.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

You'll spend more warming it up by idling than the cost of a new alternator.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Some US cars can be started remotely - think TV remote. So you start it

20 mins before you want to set off, and it's toasty warm when you want to go. And to hell with the planet!
Reply to
GB

Or cool when you need it! We had a hire car with the remote start option. It was very handy for reducing the cabin temperature to tolerable before entering it.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Problem found. Alternator belt snapped.

Reply to
paulfoel

A friend of mine had the same fault: Cold weather, started up, left it running, came back to no charge and the belt snapped: Cause: frozen water pump meaning the belt slipped on the pulley till the belt heated up and dropped apart. Cure: add anti-freeze and renew belt. Also seen when the aircon pump seizes.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Unless they rushed it and only 1/2 filled a cell. No doubt it appeared full when they capped it, was 1/2 full when I got it home. They don't last 6 months after starting a few times like that.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Didnt think of that. Water didnt look frozen though.

Reply to
paulfoel

In article , paulfoel scribeth thus

Sometimes .. the simplest things;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

No air con so its not that. Didnt snap whilst idling only when car got around corner.

Did get me thinking though. But checked anti-freeze using sprygo and its ok to about -20 by the looks so i dont think its that.

funnily enough though it looks like it was fitted on back to front! i.e. rubbery bits on the outside. Guess this is not cool.....

Reply to
paulfoel

I'd hope it went through some sort of window/sunroof opening routine before trying to cool the interior down from 60C . . .

Rob

Reply to
RJH

We're talking about the country of free gas here. Don't be daft. ;-). Besides, would you really want your car windows opening when you're not close enough to apprehend a tea leaf?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+