starter motor

I have a D reg renault 9 broadway with a starting problem about 6 months ago when I turned the key occasionally I would get nothing just a click the heater motor would slow down and stop and the clock would fade but main lights remained bright, after 3 or 4 turns of the key it would strike up and no problem for the last 3 months I have been using it every day and not a problem until last night did it again dont know wether it is starter motor, starter solenoid or ignition switch last night it finally started after i rolled it put it into gear then it started with ignition key which points to starter motor but on other occasions it starts eventually when I try the key a few times, just seeing if anyone has experienced this prob dont really want to splash out on a starter motor till i have tried all other avenues HELP

Reply to
colin & diane

Probably worth checking the battery first.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

about 6 months ago

click the

but main

strike up and

day and not a

starter motor,

started after i

which points to

I try the key

dont really

other avenues

Could be something as simple as a bad connection. The battery and engine earth connections, plus those of all the thicker cables going to the starter solenoid and starter. I'd start by checking those. Mike

Reply to
Mike G

If it's just the clock display that fades rather than the clock stopping, it's possible they and the starter relay are all on the same circuit - assuming the clock goes on and off with the ignition. So it could be a dirty connection on either the feed or at a common earth point.

Should be easy enough to make an informed guess from the circuit diagram, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

From what you describe its the solenoid - though I'm confused to why the heater slowed down and the lights didn't dim.

This is my rule of thumb.

turn key (watch the ignition lights - do they dim or not?) if when you turn the key the ignition lights dims or go out its the battery - if the lights stay on its the starter.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

my similar problem with a 340 Volvo was the trigger lead to the starter motor - bad connection, cleaned and reconnected and all o.k.

Reply to
Mad Sad Dad