Starter Motor Problem?

I have a P reg Ford Scorpio 2.3 Automatic. When I start from cold the engine turns over with loads of ooomph and pretty much starts first time every time. But what's weird is that when it's hot more often than not it hardly turns over at all. It's almost like the battery is completely flat - only it isn't. This problem only ever occurs when the engine is hot. If I leave it for an hour it's ok again. I haven't looked at anything yet so I suppose the connections to the starter moter are the first place to start but I'm guessing it's not going to be that so I'm suspecting the starter motor. It's just that I've never had or heard of this problem before. Can anyone shed any light on what the problem might be?

Thanks John

Reply to
Nodge

look at battery leads and engine earth leads as well as starter connections. I would also get a test on the battery just in case. Sometimes starter motors can get so worn that the armature rubs on the inside of the motor, that slows them a lot, could also happen only when heat distorts it all a bit.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I don't know if this will be relevant in your case but I used to have a B reg 1.6 Orion with the cvh engine and that had the same problem and the cause of it was the starter was on the front of the engine under the exhaust pipe and the heat used to tighten up the starter, I used to dread stalling it as I knew it would not turn over till it cooled down. A heavy duty battery for the diesel model helped a bit. Ford did do a heat shield for the Orion but it was ridiculously expensive. Trevor Smith

Reply to
Trevor Smith