Starter Motor Problem

Hello I have a starter motor from a diesel engine. It wasnt working prooerly. so I stripped it down and cleaned it. But it still isnt working properly. If I cross the th solenoid spade connecter with the live terminal the solenoid kicks out the bendix gear but the motor dosnt spin. If I cross the two solenoid large terminals the moter spins.

Am I right in thinking the solenoid spade terminal goes to the live side of the battery via the starter botton. The sysrem is negative earth

Cheers Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

The message from "Charlie" contains these words:

I've not seen one that doesn't.

Reply to
Guy King

It means the heavy switch contacts within the solonoid are US so you either need another solonoid or a replacement starter assembly.

Reply to
Shayne

Hi Charlie

The system would normally engage the solenoid with the flywheel and then spin up the motor, so spade switched first, motor switched next via the chunky terminals.

Reply to
Steve Sweet

The solenoid is knackered or very dirty inside. If you need to use the starter as cheaply as possible then add a solenoid externally/remotely that powers the motor. So you would energise the solenoid on the starter which would bring in the bendix, then operate the remote solenoid which would spin the motor, when it starts release both.

A relay from a non preengaged metro or similar would do, early fiesta, etc.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful