starter motor probs ;-(

Can anyone help i had to replace my starter motor which had done 70 thousand miles on my 2001 (Y) mondeo then 4 weeks later this on went now just put on another recon and it wont start at all does anyone have any ideas???????????

Reply to
bagpuss70

When you say 'won't start' I presume you mean the starter won't turn, rather than the car fails to fire.

Firstly, check that current is getting to the starter motor terminal(s). If not, is there current getting to the solenoid? If Yes, then it would seem that the solenoid is duff. If No, then either there is an earth problem or al lead connection. Maybe there's a poor connection to the battery. Try cleaning the terminals after removing the leads.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

If it is not turning: Check by putting power to the little lead to the starter (it usually has a join conveniently near the battery. If it works ok then you need to trace back further. I recently spent some time doing this on a p plate diesel mondeo, I thought it was the ignition switch, when I took it to pieces it was burnt away inside, so I replaced it , all seemed fine, yet in a few days it was back again, I replaced the lead from the ignition switch to the starter and it has not been back since.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Thanks guys for your comments will this prove costly????

Reply to
bagpuss70

Probably not.

Reply to
Duncanwood

Cheaper than carrying on buying starter motors...

Reply to
PC Paul

Not if it turns out to be a connection problem rather than the necessity for a new motor/solenoid/switch/WHY.

Rob

Reply to
Rob graham

As long as it dont cost that much cause it would have to into the garage to be fixed and as ive already spent a bit on bloody starters i was expecting it to be a massive cost cause when you say electrics people suck in real hard as if to incline it will be very expensive.;-)

Reply to
bagpuss70

If you've done 70k on the starter I'm not suprised it's worn out! :-)

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

The car had done 70k and the motor went then it was replaced and it went again so thats why it might be somethink else got a guy comming out friday so i will let you know the fault.

Reply to
bagpuss70