Steering wheel making an abrasive sound

I have a Ford Ka, 2004. It's not been without its problems, I have to say that. Anyways, onto the crux of the matter: very recently, I noticed that as I turn the wheel, it makes an abrasive/chaffing sound, maybe like a bit of grit has entered the column, and something is rubbing on something else. It is not loud, and seems to be coming from near the steering wheel itself.

Any ideas as to the cause? Should I be concerned? Is it likely to need any real attention?

Reply to
Mark Carter