Steering wheel shake on MK1 Sierra

Dear Panel,

Trying to sort a problem on my wife's MK1 Sierra Estate which is baffling me slightly - wanted to pick your brains. Problem 50 mph and then breaking causes the steering wheel shake (but only by a small amount - more irritating than dangerous)

I've replaced the lower ball joints, track control arms and bushes, checked wheel bearings and all ok.replaced the callipers and disks (calliper seized so replaced both and disk/pads at the same time). Still the problem occurs..

The steering rack is 5 years old (and 30 K miles), also replaced the track rod ends and front shocks at the same time.

Questions

1.. Could it be the pattern parts I replaced 5 years ago - anyone had a problem with a track rod end/steering rack wearing after this time - admittedly the short journey and parking wear belies the 30K ageing. 2.. Wheel balancing - the steering wheel doesn't wobble at speed - but could a minor balancing issue cause the problem ? 3.. Tracking - could this contribute ? Many thanks in advance for all advice

Sydney

Reply to
Sydney

Have you replaced the bulkhead bush for the steering column? To test, from under the bonnet, hold the steering shaft where it exits the bulkhead and try and lift it up and down, ideally there should be no movement, but realistically there will be some, but not too much..

Also anti-roll bar bushes to body wear.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

It could be this. Swap the wheels around and see if things change. If the problem gets noticeably worse or better, this is the cause. You would be surprised how often you pay for wheel balancing only for the mechanic to give the wheel a quick spin on the machine. Next time make sure the machine reads zero before you let the mechanic take the wheel off.

Reply to
DP

I had a problem like this on a Sierra too many years ago to clearly remember, it turned out to be a bush in the front of the propshaft, I can't for the life of me remember the details, There was something just behind the front u/j in the shaft. A second hand shaft cured it if I remember correctly.

Thanks to MrCheerful, DP and r - I will investigate your suggestions and report back to the news group (for beneft of others) when I finally cure the problem.

Thanks again

Sydney

Reply to
Sydney

the ONLY way to solve the problem is to do the following fit new front hubs fit new front discs fit new front pads problem solved everything else is just pointless unless you replace the outer track control arm bushes with some polyurethane items the steering column bush (lives on the steering column in the bulkhead) is a £3 item and a pain in the posterior to change but this just means that the steering wheel goes up and down when you shake it the propshaft doughnut will manifest itself in a vibration from the back/bottom of the car and can be easily checked by wobbling the prop to see if there is a problem with it

Resident Sierra Expert

Reply to
dojj

I find them easy to change, what do you do?

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

it's all the lying on the back in some bent position that does me in (broken back and all)

Reply to
dojj