Strange Noise

My Car (Octavia VRS) has suddenly developed an odd noise. If I turn left whilst accelerating I get a loudish rumble from the front right of the car. Doesn't do it all when turning right, and is hardly noticeable if I'm not accelerating.

Any ideas ?

Reply to
DrLargePants

Usually wheelbearing.

Reply to
Conor

Possibly a CV joint. It'll probably be one of the two, and more likely the bearing.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I did think wheel bearing, but I thought that the noise would be apparent regardless of what direction the front wheels are pointing ?

I only noticed it after the garage had the wheels off to check the brakes. (could just be a coincidence of course). The garage seem to think its the shield behind the brakes rubbing on something...

DrLargePants

No.

Ah....

Quite possibly.

Reply to
Conor

Well I didn't know that ;-)

I presume its easy enough to check if its the wheel bearing ?

Reply to
DrLargePants

When you turn left and accelerate, the weight of the car is pushed more onto the right. Note *especially* when accelerating.

I had same problem on the Escort, replaced front bearings (the noise was defintiely I tell you, defintiely coming from the front, wasn't it --- no!!!!!) wishbones, steering rack, ... and then the rear bearings which came out beautifully pitted on one half the racce. Noise was cured instantly with the new bearngs.

...Especially when accelerating around corners...

Reply to
Billy H

That's what they say, lift car wheel of ground. Grab top and bottom and wobble ushing and pulling countered with each hand. If movement is present it indicates bearing failure. But mine didn't so it and it was bearings.

It could be something rubbing but it sould be bearings. When my bearing got pitted and made it's noises it hapened of a sudden, I thought they'd come on gradually and maybe it did, but the noise was suddenly noticeable. Worst when turning to the left and accelerating and it was rear right wheel.

You can see the failure when you take the bearing out. I'd replace them anyhow if you took them out to inspect. Be sure you pack the new ones with grease properly, squeezing as much as you can into the race and not just smearing the bearing assembly with it.

Reply to
Billy H

I had a discussion about it in ut.engineering.general,sci.engr.mech,uk.rec.models.engineering

with the title 'mysterious noises form my Escort' back at the end of last year.

You may get some of it, but I think a lot of it is deleted from the servers.

Reply to
Billy H

I borrowed someones mk3 Cav for an afternoon a while ago. I tend to drive "enthusiastically", and noticed a rubbing/ light grinding noise when cornering (can't remember whether it was left or right). Only did it one way, didn't do it under acceleration or braking.

The car went through one or two MOTs like that so the owner told me I was wrong (she doesn't exactly push behind the wheel). Then it failed the next one, on the wheelbearing I had said was duff. And not surprisingly, when I borrowed it after the new bearing had been fitted the noise had indeed stopped. And no other work had been done on the suspension/ brakes wheels in that time (not even pads, as she doesn't do many miles or use them that hard).

So I've had one too that "felt" fine, but was definately not right.

Reply to
Stuffed

Well it transpires it was the passenger side tie rod having play in it that was causing the tyre to vibrate about.

Thanks for all the sugestions/help

Se=E1n

Reply to
DrLargePants

Well actually it wasn't. After having the offending part replaced its still doing it, and its starting to develop it turning to the right now. ARGH!

Any ideas ?!

Se=E1n

Reply to
DrLargePants

Well actually it wasn't. After having the offending part replaced its still doing it, and its starting to develop it turning to the right now. ARGH!

Any ideas ?!

Seán

Bearings totally goosed.

Does it do it on a straight?

Is the noise different when turning left/turning right/ going straight/uphill/downhill.

Don't run too fast if you do run it at all.

Reply to
Billy H

Only whilst turning, doesn't seem to make any difference going up/down hills. Does seem to occur if you hit a bump as well now.

I should point out that the garrage are %100 sure its not the bearings though.

Reply to
DrLargePants

CV joint? I believe they 'click' when they are on their way out.

Is the noise the same when you hit a bump?

What kind of noises are you hearing? Grinding? Whooshing? Rythmical? Different with speed? ...

Reply to
Billy H

Grinding, sounds allmost like worn pads but not as metallic. Gets worse the harder and faster you turn in as well.

Reply to
DrLargePants

I'm pretty certain its the exhaust (or something related) being loose tbh. If you engage the clutch and rev the noise goes up and down with engine revs

I've given up trying to get the garage to sort it, they seemd to think it was the traction control cutting in.

Reply to
DrLargePants