Strange problem with Ford radio

Hi there,

I've got a 2001 Focus with a 6006E radio/cd player with a strange problem.

If Im driving a long listening to a radio statio, reception is absolutley fine - crystal clear. If the radio then retunes to a traffic report on another station where the reception is less than perfect, then when the radio retunes (or if I retune back to the original station manually) then reception on the original station is as bad as the reception on the ;traffic' station.

Example

  1. Listening to Radio 4 - reception good
  2. Travel news comes on the distant Radion London. Radio retunes to this, but recption is poor.
  3. Because of this I manually retune back to Radio 4
  4. Suddenly reception of Radio 4 is as bad as the (poor) reception on Radio London.

ANyone experienced this? Its almost as if retuning to a poorly received station causes the radio to lose some kind of ;lock' on the station I was receiving originally.

Any thoughts? Anyone?

Ta.

Reply to
pauljwilliams

damaged or loose ariel connection caused this on my van worth a look

Reply to
steve robinson

It could be the AF function. As you're driving about it automatically retunes to stronger signals, and if you tune away (ie, for the traffic announcement) then manually go back to the preset frequency, it'll go back to the programmed frequency rather than the one it'd seamlessly switched to.

Reply to
Doki

In message , Doki writes

I agree with the AF diagnosis. My Ford unit does something similar. I listen to Radio 4 on the way to work. When I switch it off at the end of the day, its tuned to 94.1 which is great reception but when I switch it on the next day, it tunes itself to 94.2 which is crap. I eventually turned the AF off and its fine now.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Thats what I thought it might be, but it seems (though im not 100% sure) that when I look at the frequency its tuned to then its the same as it was prior to changing stations. Perhaps theres more accuracy in frequency than the 0.1 Hz that the display reads. I'll try turning off AF and see if it fixes it.

Reply to
pauljwilliams