Strange smell from engine bay...

Ford Fusion 1.4 TDCI, 53 plate, 58k on the clock. I've recently started noticing a sort of paraffin- like smell coming from the car's engine bay. I've had a *quick* look and shone a torch around to see if there's any signs of leakage/ fumes, but haven't noticed anything untoward, although it does seem to appear as the engine heats up. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this smell, before I roll my sleeves up and start looking properly? (The weather ain't been nice...!)

Thanks in advance,

Reply to
Kenny

In message , Kenny writes

Should have added, car performance hasn't changed!

Reply to
Kenny

I don't know if they still do, but garages used to "water down" diesel in the winter with paraffin (or sometimes petrol etc) to stop it freezing, so maybe... its a winter fuel additive?

Just a guess mind.. hopefully someone with a better knowledge will either make me look stoopid, or clarify..

LL

loopy livernose

I had a weird smell coming from my side pod on the V6 not long ago, turned out the jubilee clip on the CV boot had snapped (so just a 20p fix heh) and the boot had come loose and flung grease onto the exhaust pipes so it was burning up and smellin bad :) Mechanic said good job we found it soon before it threw all the grease out and knackered something. So maybe worth a check?

Reply to
Iridium