Strange smell in car after service like "town gas"

We have just had my wifes car serviced by main dealer, standard service 50k mile service, oil, filter, etc

car is dawoe matiz

but now when car is warm & doing low speed manovers the inside of car smells of "town gas" and quite strong.

smell is not in the outside air but inside car.

i have looked under bonnet, oil level correct, no signes of any oil spills, oil breather pipe is on. just a trace of smell appear under bonnet if lifted. much stronger on inside of car.

i will take back to dealer to look at but would like some suggestions as possible cause of this strong smell in car.

thanks

Robin...

Reply to
robin

Air con gas leak? Heater matrix leak? The ventilation intake lever has been set to 're-circulate' -though that shouldn't cause a problem, other than misting up. Your shopping spilled and there's garlic under the seat-(that's what they use as a stenching agent for natural gas). DaveK.

Reply to
davek

How about the washer fluid? They may have topped it up with a different type.

Or indeed, a sweaty mechanic? :-)

Zimmy

Most likely just some oil spilled on the exhaust when draining.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

possibly but car has done about 50-60 miles since service & i would have thought that would have burnt off

i have just washed down the engine with engine degreaser & water just in case there is any oil residue left.

will have another look at in daylight.

thanks

Reply to
robin

not washer fluid, that smells of alchol,

@ quite distinctive a sweet smell

this smells just like town gas from kitchen hob

Reply to
robin

What? You mean like Jamie Oliver's Farts?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Have they cleaned up the engine bay, and perhaps sprayed under the bonnet with something - that maybe gets hot and gives off the smell? - If so it will go away before too long.

Reply to
R. Murphy

Shouldn't that have been removed after the service?

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

The message from Ian Dalziel contains these words:

Not if it's KwikFit. He'd be one who hadn't flogged enough shock absorbers.

Reply to
Guy King

What about hot anti freeze from a burst or leaking heater matrix? locate where it is roughly under the dash, then check for any dampness near by inside on the carpets or trim. Anti-freeze smells/tastes sweet.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Actually it's not being truly pedantic. (it's t-butyl thiol in natural gas, garlic is allylin compounds)

I had a problem like this in a Shitroen once and it turned out to be a runaway charging system that had borked, boiled and buggered the battery which was evolving hydrogen sulphide.

Reply to
Chris Street

Even after removal I have found that their aroma can live on for a few days, but its definitely not a 'sweet' smell.

Zimmy

problem sorted at last.

turned out the garage had not tightend or replaced the gear box filler plug, so gearbox oil was dripping onto the exhaust.!!

just as well.

thanks for your input

Reply to
robin