Stripped thread on front hub

My Laguna, [1] yes again, has a stripped wheel bolt thread in the front hub. Is a helicoil, or similar, an option for this? Or is another front hub the way to go?

[1] It may be starting to sound like a rolling mishap but it is actually a very fine car. It is simply like the modern description for an unruly child, it just has a few "issues"!
Reply to
gazzafield

only safe option is a new hub

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Another hub from the scrappys probably cheaper than the helicoil kit.

Reply to
Duncanwood

New hub (or carefully selected second hand one)

Reply to
SimonJ

Replacing the hub is probably your best bet. I doubt there'd be that much difference between the cost of having a Helicoil fitted, and a s/h hub from the breakers. If it were mine I'd probably fit a Helicoil. The chances are that I already have the inserts and everything needed to fit one or all. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I'd say it must take serious abuse to strip a wheel bolt thread.

However, I'd just fit a new hub and bolts - and check all the others round the car for signs of damage.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I ran a 205 for over two years with only three wheel bolts on one of the front wheels. The forth had snapped.

sponix

Reply to
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

gazzafield (rufty_tufty snipped-for-privacy@nospam.saysI.ko) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Perhaps it had a hubcap/wheel cover that covered the bolts? They can't dismantle the car to see.

Daft, innit?

Reply to
Adrian

How did it get through an MOT?

Reply to
gazzafield

Not serious abuse just a twerp at the tyre fitters with one of those air tools that if not correctly used rethread your wheel bolts for you. Always insist on "by hand" job.My volvo has 4 good one bad on a front wheel now!!

Reply to
Capt T