Stuck Water Pump Problem

Hi,

I am trying to change a water pump on a Vauxhal Astra 1.4 SI 1992

I have removed the bolts holding in the water pump, (only 2, the dead was missing from the third) but the water pump refuses to shift.

I thing that the last person to work on the water pump has fixed it in with some sort of glue or sealent which is why it will not move.

Anybody got any ideas?

Reply to
Chris

Nah, probably limescale. You have to hit it *just right* and it'll come out. Alternatively you may have to smash it to bits where it it.

Reply to
Scott M

This is a very common problem. If a good thump won't shift it (don't hit the pulley, but try to rotate the pump using a long punch and hammer, if it turns then it is usually easy enough to thump the pulley and it should fall out). If that didn't get it then remove the hose directly behind the pump and put a bar in the hole revealed against the back of the actual impeller of the pump, a long bar is needed so that you can hit the end of it and drive the pump out. This method is very quick and easy, it also does no damage to other components.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Limescale, they always stick. After you've removed it with a big lever clean up the mounting hole so the new one rotates easily when you put it back.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Aye lad. At least I've got an homily which might serve thee in good stead. When I were a nipper, nobbut knee high to a flea, I were working on me first car outside me uncle's garage in deepest Derbyshire. I were trying to get a rear drum off to check the brake shoes. I took the wheel off easily enough and backed off the brake shoes but the drum refused to move.

At that point a little bandy legged old man walking his dog came by and stopped to look. "whas tha' firkling at lad?" he asked.

"I'm trying to get this brake drum off," I said "but it seems to be stuck."

"Has tha backed off't brake shoes lad?"

"yep, but it's still stuck."

"Has't got an 'ammer lad?"

I dug out a small claw hammer which he turned his nose up at.

"Nay lad, a proper 'ammer." I went into the garage and found a 4lb lump hammer which seemed to please him better.

At that juncture he knelt down and beat seven types of merry s**te out of the brake drum which in my inexperienced state of mechanical expertise left me in no doubt he was about to smash the entire mechanism into tiny pieces and leave me with a major repair bill. However, after a few judicious whacks the drum fell off into his hand. Much impressed I enquired...

"So what was still holding it on then?"

"Nobbut ignorance lad, nobbut ignorance." and at that he wandered off with his dog.

I had no idea what he meant and it wasn't until years later that I finally twigged.

I hope you resolve your water pump problem :)

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Been there, done that. You need to remove the hose that comes out of the rear of the waterpump housing, shove a stick/socket set extension bar down the hole and hit it with a lump hammer. Don;t use a clawhammer as there's not enough weight behind it. With a lump hammer you only need to tap it.

Reply to
Conor

If you're *very* lucky ;o)

Si