Stupid Bloody Renault

I'm considering shooting the wife's Clio. The rack gaiters need replacing, which isn't usually hard, but these are really stupid. To avoid problems with the boots balooning as they compress there's a balance pipe from one side to the other - which plugs into a hole in the back of the gaiter. Except that the pipe is on the back of the rack and flared at the end and so far it's defeated my attempts to get it to go in.

I'm going to have to give up and take the rack off to fit 'em - which is really daft. I suspect that the pipe's on the front of the rack on LHD models, but that they've just turned it over for UK use and now it's at the back and completely inaccessible.

Oooh, that's given me an idea - I can give up on the old pipe and just make a new one out of a bit of PVC tube and the old one can just go stuff itself. Stuff it in the holes, cable tie it to the front and stop swearing at it.

Cor - the benefits of actually expressing the problem!

Reply to
Guy King

Good reaction - go with it! ;-)

Reply to
Chris Bolus

The message from Chris Bolus contains these words:

Finally dragged it kicking and screaming through its MOT today. Bloody thing - give me a Metro any day.

Reply to
Guy King

I'll do a straight swap for my '96 114GSI metro with 46k on the clock! (also with the standard features of oil in the water & very rusty rear wheel arches, plus an horrendous engine rattle at start-up).

Reply to
Chris

I'll go one better than that, and swap for my almost classic late 80s 1275 Metro, with nasty leatherish seats, electric windows, nearly fully working central locking, knackered discs, worn rack and general horrendous running problems!

It's not massively (OK, one door is rotten, and the corners where the PO used to touch park it are a bit tatty) rusty though

Reply to
Stuffed