Stuttering fiesta

Ok, this has got me tearing my hair out....

1998 Fiesta 1.25, Endura lump. Starts beautifully. Hot or cold. Never a problem. Surges and stutters after about 10 minutes. Sometimes quite badly, sometimes just a little. But never for the whole journey. Feels like driving into a strong wind, then kicks me in the back as though its not there anymore.... Usually cuts out completely when clutch is dipped-eg traffic lights. Again, not always. Always cuts when I dip the clutch and freewheel down hills (??) The times it is about to cut but doesn't, it tends to pick itself up and rev a little harder, then stabilize itself.

Can anyone offer advice before I give up and drag it to the garage for an (expensive?) check??

TIA Eric

Reply to
Barney Rubbleski

Enduras are 1.3... Zetec S(E) is 1.25...

This does sound like a ISCV, I've had to fit a new one to mine in the past (despite cleaning it out). I borrowed a mate's fiesta and swapped the valves over and thats how I diagnosed the problem. If you do this be sure you buy him/her a new set of O-ring seals from Ford!

I've had a free diagnostic test in the past from Ford...

Moby.

Reply to
Moby

Had the same symptoms with a Peugeot 405. Was the idle stepper motor, actuator, call it what you will. New one - £94 from Peugeot (cause you can't get them anywhere else). Bit of a kick in the guts for what looks like a motor not much bigger than a scalextric car! But it solved the problem.

Reply to
gazzafield