Sudden loss of power on C200

I have a Merc C200 CDi with about 50000 miles on it. Normally it's very responsive and powers up hills with no problems. Today it suddenly decided it wasn't going to do that any more - definite loss of power and absolute refusal to go above 3000 rpm. However, at lower speeds and revs it seems basically OK. Engine temperature appears fine, there are no warning lights or malfunction messages. Any ideas?

Reply to
leo

None.

Could be worth getting it scanned with some kind og diagnostic which might show an error message which might not of triggered a warning light.

Reply to
Maxi

Pressure leak somewhere from turbo to manifold. Hose come off the intercooler possibly? It does sound like a lack of boost.

JB

Reply to
JB

Or sludged up EGR valve.

Reply to
Conor

Or fecked MAF. If there's nothing obviously hanging off then you're going to want the codes read. (Obviously you'd never dream of using a dodgy copy of carsoft)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I was going to suggest MAF, but all the others are possible too.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Split intercoolers are a favourite on these, but with a window open you should hear quite a whoosh as pressurized air leaks out en-masse....

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Maf is easy to check, unplug it. If it runs better unplugged it's the maf.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Obviously not. Funny thing was that this morning it was fine, no problem, but coming back from work in the evening the same problem happened. Presumably a pressure leak or lost hose wouldn't be affected by time of day, so I'm thinking something temperature related.

Reply to
leo

Or it's a connecter/cable to a sensor.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Or indeed IME, if it doesn't run vastly worse unplugged, it's the MAF.

Reply to
Chris Bartram