Sump Gaskets / Leakyness

I fitted a GSF sump gasket to my Golf a bit back, and it seems to leak a bit of oil. I've since bought a VW one, which is copper coated with rubber, whereas the GSF one was a thick paper type. Do you or do you not put sealant on metal / rubber gaskets?

Reply to
Doki

no dont put sealent on rubber gaskets

Reply to
ford_technical_

Can I get away with a bit to keep the gasket attached to the engine whilst I fiddle with the sump?

Reply to
Doki

A little smear of grease would probably do.

Reply to
DougP

I replaced the rocker cover gasket on my GTi 8v with a genuine VW item. It was a 1 piece gasket not the 3 piece gasket which I think was originally fitted and which leaked badly from both back corners. I just cleaned all the mating surfaces so they were clear and dry - no leaks as of yet and I'm V happy with that thanks! The only prob I had was that the newer VW rocker gasket had it's squish bands in the gasket - meaning the studs on the head had to be changed for ones without shoulders (these did come with the new gasket though).

If I have to then I use a bit of copper grease - but only to keep the gasket in place.

Chris

Reply to
Chris