Sump Gaskett

Hi, i have a Ford Mondeo 2.0 16v Ghia Auto. Ive been having a problem with an oil leak which has now been diagnosed as the sump gasket wearing away. I have purchased the gasket and was wondering if it is an easy enough job to attempt or whether to get a pro on it ?? any feedback would be graetly appreciated.

thanks

andy

Reply to
andyw28

It's much easier if you can turn the car upside down....... :-)

Reply to
Gordon

that may be a bit difficult ! garage job then ?

Reply to
andyw28

TBH, this is not a job for someone without reasonable skills, a half-decent set of tools, and somewhere other than the side of the road to work.

The sump gasket (one "t") won't "wear away", although it may have failed in other ways.

If you ring around and get a couple of quotes to have this done, it will give you an idea of the amount of work involved. Unless you are loosing large amounts of oil, you might want to consider just living with it.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Yeah apparently its a cork gasket thats worn away ? just what i was told. Ok i think that could be my best option as my mate said he'd do it but needs a set of ramps to do the job or no chance. !

cheers

Reply to
andyw28

Whoever told you that knows nothing about cars.

A gasket is a compressible material trapped between two surfaces in order to seal them. To wear away, there would need to be movement between the two parts.

If that's what has happened to your Mondeo, the sump gasket is the least of your problems...

Good luck!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I have an almost identical car (not auto, 2000) with the same problem (noone described it as "wearing" away, but it is leaking ;). As I understand it you need to take the exhust off then replace the gasket, not an easy job. I am loosing about a litre of oil a month, and only when I drive it (so not much of an oil stain on the drive). I am just living with it until it gets worse.

Reply to
davidjones

ok thanks for your help chris

Reply to
andyw28

Hi Dave, yeah mine is at the worse stage i think. smoke bellowing out of bonnet when driving. Major stains on driveway and having to put a litre of oil every couple of days. could be garage or scrap man even !!

Reply to
andyw28

How old is the car? If it's an old Mondeo, just get some of that "chemical metal" from halfords and some gunk. Clean the area around the leak with gunk, then gob some chemical metal on it. It will stop it leaking. Cost you about a tenner all in.

It's a cowboy fix for sure, but it will work. If it's a newer car, I'd be tempted to have it done properly, but if you just want to do it cheaply and have it run, then the chemical metal will work fine IME.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

andyw28 used his keyboard to write :

Gaskets don't wear away, there is no wear mechanism - the two two parts either side of a gasket should not move.

Rather than removing the sump, to fit a new gasket - have you thought to check the bolts for tightness first?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

One "o". Losing. Those who can do... :-)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAM.tiscali.co.uk...

That's what I'd suggest the OP does as well, before going ahead with fitting a new gasket. Cork gasket bolts/screws seem to have a habit of relaxing after a time. Probably due the the cork losing it's resilience. Tightening them may be all it takes to stop the leak/s Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Yeah cos driving down the road with loads of blue smoke coming out from under the car isn't a problem at all is it?

Reply to
Conor

Sorry, I must have missed the part of the OP where he mentioned loads of blue smoke...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Would high temperature silicon sealer work better? It sticks like anything to a clean surface.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

He mentioned smoke billowing out from under the engine.

Reply to
Conor

Certainly does. Excellent for attaching number plates without unsightly screws showing.. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

The two "silvertop" Zetecs I've had in bits didn't have a gasket as such, they used some kind of "gunk" (like a slightly spongy silicone), black in colour, seemed to have expanded slightly, I've been informed that it's available from Ford dealers...

Reply to
Tony (UncleFista)

Original post in full:

"Hi, i have a Ford Mondeo 2.0 16v Ghia Auto. Ive been having a problem with an oil leak which has now been diagnosed as the sump gasket wearing away. I have purchased the gasket and was wondering if it is an easy enough job to attempt or whether to get a pro on it ?? any feedback would be graetly appreciated. "

Only other posts by OP:

"that may be a bit difficult ! garage job then ?"

"Yeah apparently its a cork gasket thats worn away ? just what i was told. Ok i think that could be my best option as my mate said he'd do it but needs a set of ramps to do the job or no chance. ! "

"ok thanks for your help chris "

So, where's this billowing smoke?

Ian

Reply to