Suzuki Swift noise from Off side front wheel

Morning all,

While driving at any speed(2000 suzuki swift 1.0 - 77k miles), if i turn my steering wheel more that about half a turn to the right I hear a scraping noise from the drivers side front wheel.

I jacked the car up yesterday and took off the brake disk and calliper looking for any signs that something had been rubbing. Everything looked fine. With the car on the ground and full lock on(again to the right) i can push or pull the car forwards/backwards and hear a scraping/ticking noise from around the calliper/cv joint area. If the car is jacked up and the wheel is spun then the noise is gone.

There are no knocking/clunking noises, just the scraping. If i drive straight or turn to the left there is no problem at all.

If it would help I could record the sound and post it on here, otherwise has anyone got any idea's what may be wrong.

I'm guessing its going to be either the bearing or cv joint but I dont know how to check for sure?

Thanks

Reply to
Kirky

scraping noises are more usually brake related, especially the dust/water shield rubbing on the disk. if you don't get clunking noises when pulling away with the steering sharply turned then the CV is probably ok, so that leaves wheel bearing, and at the area of mileage you have that is probably the next most likely, especially the ticking noise, you may even have wheel bearing play which allows the disk to touch the dust shield. Have you felt for wheel bearing movement or roughness?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Same idea here too. But when it happened to an old escort I had I could hear the scraping going round roundabouts, it did not need high speed as the OP suggested. I guess it depends on how much worn the bearing is.

:-)

Reply to
Charles C

Jack it up under the front suspension and it will be loaded as it is on the deck and recheck? Front spring broken lowering clearances? Al

Reply to
al

I had the car jacked up again earlier and tried to feel for play in the bearings, all seems ok. I did notice however that I could replicate the noise(again ticking and scraping) by pressing against the wheel(pushing outside towards inside) and rotating the wheel at the same time. It sounded like the noise was coming from around the brake pad area.

There are some springs on the brake pad assembly and it sounded like a springy kind of noise(the ticking), as the pads are 2/3rd's worn I was thinking of swapping them anyway to see if that cures the problem? Any thoughts?

What does "broken lowering clearances" mean?

Many thanks for the relpys.

Rob

Reply to
Kirky

I think he means 'could the front spring be broken, lowering clearance between the wheel and body'.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

These have a wear sensor on the pad - metal strip which when the pads are down touch the rotor, and make a scraping noise.

Reply to
Rob

This is exactly what it was, i've just replaced the pads and found the metal strip had been catching on the disk. See below photo;

Many thanks to all who responded.

Rob

Reply to
Kirky

you said that the first thing you did was to remove the caliper and disk, it is worrying that you did not spot it then.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I would say that the calliper and pads were removed as a unit. No notice was taken of the wear sensor. hard to spot rubbing on the end of the sensor if its removed as a unit. There is still plenty of pad available except its noisy.

Reply to
Rob