Tachometer in a Talbot Express

I wish to fit a tachometer to my 1991 Talbot Express 2.0 Petrol with Ducellier Electonic Ignition. The Peter Russek Manual (and the Haynes Manual for the 504) state that an "HT tachometer" MUST be used. However I have a standard TIM 80mm Dash-mounted tachometer from Halfords that connects onto the Coil -ve (other wires connect to Ign +ve and Earth) which seems to work fine. I only connected it for a few seconds as I didn't want to risk damaging the Electonic Ignition module/amplifier

Has anyone fitted a standard Tachometer of this sort (connected directly to the coil -ve) on a Talbot Express or vehicle that states it shouldn't and if so has it suffered any ignition module failure as a result ?

Thank you, Steve

Reply to
SandS

Not tacho but converting to LPG uses the coil neg for the pulse and coil pos for the power without any problems.

Robin

Reply to
ROBIN DUMPLETON

Thanks for the info Robin. I connected the Tacho to the coil -ve and it seems to be running fine. Just hope it lasts ! Steve

and coil pos

Petrol

(and

MUST